We are looking for an Assistant Director of Internal Communications and Engagement to join Samaritans on a 12 month fixed term contract. This role oversees the development, delivery and evaluation of Samaritans' internal communications and engagement activity, so that volunteers and staff feel well-informed, engaged and inspired to support Samaritans to achieve its vision.
- 12 month fixed term contract
- Full time (35 hours per week)
- £70,000 per annum plus employee benefits
- We encourage flexible working hours, talk to us about your preferences
- Hybrid: homeworking plus 1-2 days per week working in our Ewell, Surrey office
- January 2022 start date
The Assistant Director of Internal Communications and Engagement is a key member of the staff Senior Leadership Group and contributes to developing and delivering the overall strategic goals of the charity. The role leads and develops the team to deliver high quality, effective and targeted internal communications.
This is a brilliant opportunity for an individual to support the development and implementation of the new Samaritans strategy (which will launch in April 2022). You will manage a comprehensive programme of internal communications and engagement activity, co-ordinating this work as part of a wider programme of stakeholder engagement for internal and external audiences. Samaritans is one of the UK and Ireland's best known and respected charities. As the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be felt across our society, Samaritans is needed more than ever. Join our senior leadership team to help deliver our new strategy and make a real difference to people's lives.The Team:
The team is hard working, positive and passionate about delivering impactful communications and engagement activities for Samaritans volunteers and staff. It is a well-established team, most of whom have been with the charity for 2+ years, with a strong range of experience and skills.Key Responsibilities:
Skills and Experience:
- Line manages a team of six; currently two direct reports: 1 x Head of Internal Communications Services, 1 x Senior Internal Communications Officer (People & Engagement)
- Lead the development and delivery of internal communications and engagement activity that informs, engages and inspires approximately 20,000 volunteers and 250 employees. Plays a key role in development of overall External Affairs strategy and objectives, supporting the Executive Director of External Affairs
- Provide strategic communications advice and support to senior staff and volunteers with regard to strategic issues, change and reputation issues, leading an integrated cross-audience approach where needed through liaison with external communications colleagues
- Lead the creation and delivery of internal communications and engagement plans for key organisational change programmes, projects and campaigns, with a strong emphasis on both internal engagement and potential external impacts
- Extensive experience of leading the development and delivery of internal communications and/or staff engagement strategies and plans, operating across a range of communication channels
- Has a proven track record of operating at senior leadership level and directly advising/supporting Executive and Board level stakeholders
- Experience working within a fast-paced, matrix organisation with multiple locations and roles
- Can clearly demonstrate extensive experience of change communications in large organisations in a large or complex organisations involving sensitive subject matter, reputational management and major issue/crisis response communications
- Significant experience of leading teams, and supporting individuals to grow and develop skills
- Outstanding copywriter and editor, with an eye for detail and the ability to communicate complex key messages in a clear and engaging way
- Experience of working for a charity or not for profit organisation and/or with volunteers (desirable)
Please complete a small application form, upload a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and transferable skills. Closing date for applications is 07/11/2021.
Samaritans is wholly committed to inclusion and diversity and to building a culture and environment where everyone is appreciated for the unique person they are. We welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences.