Are you a talented, technical tax accountant, in other words, a tax geek? You are? Our client is seeking an Assistant Manager, National Tax Technical to join the National Tax Technical Team, proving technical support to the tax department across the firm's six offices of this successful accountancy practice. This is not an external client-facing role.
Working in the National Tax Technical team is an unusual and fascinating job, ensuring the tax practice has the technical training, information sources and knowledge that its people need to provide the highest quality advice. The role can be partially adapted for your interests but involves tax technical matters and will cover knowledge management, standardising documents, risk management, as well as supporting the team across national tax issues.
You will be providing tax technical support to client-facing colleagues, across corporate and business direct taxes and assist with national training provision for direct taxes and sharing relevant tax updates. As Assistant Manager, National Tax Technical, your responsibilities will include:
- Knowledge management - keeping the tax practice up-to-date with current developments in tax and ensuring that they have access to materials from training courses and other events. Improvement of internal databases and intranet to make information easier to locate and access.
- Standardised documents/templates - the firm's tax teams have significant knowledge and expertise held in sample letters and reports held across offices but there is a need to bring this together in a library of standard documents which are kept up-to-date. You will lead on the project to research these resources, create standard letters and templates and flagging where technical developments mean they require updating. You may need to liaise with the technology team where standard documents require specialist IT functionality.
- Tax technical training - you will support the Senior Manager in designing and organising the national tax technical training programme. (Training is delivered by external providers.)
- Risk management - you will support the National Director of Tax in the annual Quality Assurance Review exercise, ensuring the practice is delivering its work to appropriately high standards.
- Tax technology - you will work with the internal tax technology expert on joint projects, for example, ensuring tax technical training aligns to new software releases, and forthcoming questions on Making Tax Digital.
- Other - the team has a wide remit and you will be supporting them in other activities, for example potentially working on tax technical queries and liaison with HMRC. There is some scope to adapt the role for your interests and past experience and this can be discussed during the recruitment process.
Please do apply for this role if you have the following skill, experience and attributes:
- CTA qualified with at least 3 years' tax experience; mixed tax, corporate tax or private client background
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter with ability to multitask and complete assignments to agreed deadlines
- Confident in dealing with unfamiliar tax issues, with plenty of support from the rest of the team, and enthusiastic about continuing to learn
- Strong relationship-building skills; able to inspire trust from colleagues
- Interested in how technology can be used within tax
This is a fantastic firm to work for and you will benefit from working alongside a highly professional group of people, where you can develop your own skills further and pass on your own expertise and knowledge to others. The firm offers a competitive salary, a good benefits package and a supportive working environment.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.