Commercial Sustainability Finance Partner
Fixed Term Contract
Hours of Work: 36.5 per week
Salary: £54,371 - £61,194 per annum + exclusive benefits
Closes: 31st October 2021
Location: 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD
We aim to make the West Midlands fairer, greener and healthier and this includes delivering the WM2041 climate change strategy.
We are working across a wide range of activity to take the region to net-zero carbon emissions by 2041, we have a pipeline of ideas awaiting commercialisation including:
* domestic and commercial heating
* transport and EV charging infrastructure
* smart energy systems and renewable energy generation
* natural capital
* industrial decarbonisation
* the circular economy
* To enable the WMCA to achieve net-zero carbon for the region by 2041, we need a Commercial Sustainability Finance Partner to develop and commercialise new and existing ideas into funded operational projects.
This role is fixed term for two years
What will you be doing?
* Lead the WMCA work programme to develop a wide range of projects and programmes focused on carbon emissions reduction and natural capital into fully funded operational projects
* Provide technical and thought leadership in your areas of strength, for example, net-zero, responsible investment, climate risk, ESG strategy
* Develop and present commercial business cases for projects which address specific sustainability issues/opportunities and attract investment from a wide range of sources
* Identify and secure the viable funding source(s) for each project, particularly blended public and private sectors funding solutions
* Submit funding bids to Central Government to unlock finance to create a more green and inclusive regional economy
* Identify and engage relevant stakeholders from the public and private sector who can accelerate investment into the region's green projects
* Our Finance & Business Hub provides essential high-quality, responsive, and agile enabling services to the West Midlands Combined Authority and its directorates in areas such as human resources, procurement, commercial investments, assurance and appraisal, financial control and administration, and financial and business planning and performance reporting.
We are a cohesive team of forward-thinking, insightful, innovative and high-performing professionals who, through our consultative and business partnering approach, influence, support and coach managers and senior leaders to help them achieve business objectives. By doing so, we help to ensure sound decisions are made and it is in this capacity that we are seen as a respected point of contact within the organisation.
We are looking for someone who has knowledge and experience of environment and/or social sustainability, public and private sector projects and experience in developing business cases.
In addition, you will have detailed knowledge about climate finance, and/or blended finance and the development of commercial partnerships.
You will have the desire to learn and apply knowledge of one or more specific environment and/or social sustainability, coupled with a passion and desire to make a difference in the areas of climate change, energy and sustainability
Our ideal candidate will have
* Knowledge of sustainability trends, best practice and existing and up and coming legislation
* Experience of working within financial institutions, advisory firms or development agencies in green finance-related work.
* Ability to work collaboratively across all levels of the organisation and good stakeholder engagement skills
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the confidence to persuade and inform key senior stakeholders
* Good analytical skills and be able to review information and determine the best approach
* Ability to prepare high quality written documentation appropriate for both public and private sector settings
* Ability to work effectively as part of a fast-paced team
* Ability to drive and create a programme of self-sustaining work, prioritise effectively and manage multiple projects at once
* Thematic experience in one or more aspect of net-zero agenda, such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, forestry or building sectors.
* Experience in some or all of the following: project financing, financial models, financial due diligence and capital structuring (desirable)
Our role in the West Midlands has never been more important and in these extraordinary times we've shown we can step forward, speak up for our region and bring people together. Everything we do is focused on making life better for people in the West Midlands - that's our reason for being here and it drives every move we make. We lead and support others to deliver our shared future vision for the region - a happier, healthier, better-connected place to live and work.
We fully believe that we are only as great as the people who work for us and are committed to providing a positive, healthy and inclusive working environment where our people feel valued and respected. We are in the Inclusive Top 50 Employers List and are one of The Times Top 50 Employers for Women. As a Disability Confident Employer, we offer a guaranteed interview for applicants who meet the essential job role criteria.
If your values align with ours and you're committed to working towards creating a future we can all be proud of, we want to hear from you