Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we've earned our reputation as a firm that leads the industry and opens up new possibilities in law. Our lawyers are leaders in their field - and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. We are defined by our consistent commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive working culture and investing in your progress. We're committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we're working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. We offer rewarding careers that are built around your strengths and designed to ensure you can achieve your personal and professional ambitions. Joining our global team, you'll discover what collaborating on a global scale really looks like; you'll learn how to help drive change; and you'll be at the heart of an organisation that's defining the future of law. If you're ready to find a place to thrive: It's Time.Role purpose
The BD manager will be instrumental in helping to shape, execute and monitor marketing and business development and communications activities for the Johannesburg business with the aim of raising profile, building and sustaining existing client relationships and exploiting business opportunities.Key relationships
Role and responsibilities
- Working closely with the Johannesburg Partners as well as other lawyers.
- Working closely with the BD Head of the Africa Group.
- Reporting to the Johannesburg Lead Partner, with secondary functional line to the BD Head of Africa Group.
- Key member of the Africa Group BD team as well as Global Marketing, BD & Communications team
The role will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Providing focus to the strategic direction and delivery of the BD activities including:
- Driving research, advice and support to the lawyers on business and client opportunities.
- Preparing and implementing product/practice area BD plans in conjunction with partners and provide regular reporting on progress against objectives.
- Planning and undertaking client relationship management programmes for the office, as well as contributing to global activities where necessary.
- Working with partners and fee earners to scope and qualify opportunities to pitch for business. Contribute to pitches and BD activity originating in other offices around the network. Ensure the BD team maintains systems to capture pitch/proposal outcomes, act upon feedback and ensure accurate, tailored documents are prepared efficiently.
- Lead and coordinate all proposals and credentials statements for agreed opportunities. Preparing pitch and credentials documents (often with short deadlines) to a brief. Using marketing systems to extract relevant material and coordinate internationally as required to ensure comprehensive collateral is produced that addresses client needs.
- Working with the Africa Group BD manager (based in Paris) to improve the approach to client relationships, local counsel, sales, business analysis and business/marketing planning.
- Establishing best practices for robust systems and processes to support the marketing and business development activities of the Johannesburg practice including but not limited to collection, storage and reuse of all deal lists and other day to day marketing know-how, managing mailing and event invitation lists through Apex and working with PAs to ensure that contacts are up to date.
- Acting as liaison for the Johannesburg practice on global and Africa wide projects and international business development and marketing initiatives and activities.
- Providing leadership to and day-to-day management of a marketing assistant.
- Using internal communications tools to raise the profile globally of our South African business.
- Managing marketing/BD budgets for the Johannesburg office.
- Responsibility for BD tactics and marketing collateral - Deliver high-quality, targeted and valuable tactical BD initiatives, eg integrated, issues-based marketing campaigns, external market positioning activities, marketing communications materials, website, CVs, client events & hospitality, legal directory entries.
- Additional projects - Seek opportunities to participate in and/or lead firmwide, local or practice area projects as required (eg creating intranet pages, website redevelopment, consistent client relationship management approaches, quality of proposals, return on investment and capturing BD data).
- Planning, managing and coordinating office events such as client seminars and networking events.
- Managing the local PR agency and working with them to implement the office's PR strategy.
- Managing outbound trips by South African lawyers to the A&O network.
- Managing inbound trips by lawyers from the A&O network.
In addition to proven experience in the above areas of responsibility, we seek:
Who we are looking for
- Graduate or equivalent with a commitment to, or existing, additional professional marketing/BD/commercial qualifications (eg CIM or other business qualifications)
- Several years relevant BD experience, ideally from within a professional services organisation.
- Enthusiasm and commitment to developing an in-depth understanding of the relevant product areas, clients, markets and competitors
- Strong commercial awareness and enthusiasm to deepen understanding of the client base and products
- Strong organisational skills - able to multi-task and balance conflicting priorities while managing expectations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to present to peers and partners and fee earners
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, dealing with all levels within the firm, with clients & suppliers; collaborative
- Professional, proactive, creative, tenacious, good humoured and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
- Research skills
- Tenacity, energy and a can do hands on approach - driven by delivery and end results
- Responsive, proactive and innovative
- Understanding of the partnership culture, but willing to challenge it in the appropriate way
- Flexible and prepared to get involved in delivering BD activity as needed
- Able to work as a team player as well as independently
- Self motivated and driven
- Ability to work under pressure and deadline driven with minimal supervision