We are currently seeking a Senior Finance Manager
to work with the partners and the Chief Operating Officer of our Litigation practice as a trusted advisor, providing sound financial advice based on extensive experience of the financial and operational workings of the department and the wider firm. The purpose of the role is to enhance and develop the practice group's profitability, by making informed and intelligent financial decisions.
The Litigation group comprises some 90 plus partners providing strategic support to clients in the areas of Investigations, Employment, Arbitration, IP law and eDiscovery. The finance team within the practice is responsible for providing financial and commercial support to the partners and associates in the London and Global Litigation Practice group.Role and responsibilities
- Monitor the financial performance of the London Litigation practice group, identifying areas for further investigation and advising on courses of action. In conjunction with the partners and COO.
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual London Litigation budget, consulting with Heads of Group, COO, HR and BD.
- Preparation of the annual Investment Plan projections for review with COO.
- Preparation and distribution of monthly financial results and commentary for the Global (GLP), London Litigation and global sub group (IP, Arbitration and Employment).
- Direct responsibility for the financial and certain operational development and support of the Trade Mark practice in London and Belfast working closely with David Stone (IP Partner).
- Direct point of escalation for London Litigation for working capital issues.
- Establishing procedures and working practices in conjunction with the eDiscovery team as it develops its business model in London and globally and providing on-going support.
- Providing direct support to partner and counsel candidates in the preparation of management information supporting their business cases and coaching them in financial awareness.
- Proactive business analysis, including regular meetings with partners to raise awareness of the key drivers of the business and how they can influence them
- Education role including presentations to sub groups, associates and the PMO on pricing and profitability as well as delivering training to associates as part of the A&O Business School.
- Providing leadership and guidance to the WCC team to ensure they are focussing on the strategic priorities of the practice.
- Project management of the more complex financial aspects of litigation matters which cannot be served by the PMO team.
- Regular and ad hoc review and analysis of partner and practice financial performance.
- Working with the partners and BD teams to provide pricing and profitability advice for larger, complex matters.
- Providing financial analysis of clients and matters to support the marketing and business development function.
- One-off projects such as the Global Litigation Strategy Review and the detailed analysis of fee income by work type, sector, geography and client.
- Direct finance contact for Client Secondment requests and supporting global practice group Client Secondment Steering Group partner.
- Proactively looking for ways to improve and streamline reporting and business processes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels.
- High levels of accuracy and numeracy and the ability to work to strict deadlines and high workloads.
- Ability to analyse and interpret financial data, draw conclusions and make recommendations to the business.
- Excellent planning, time management, communication and organisational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong IT skills including Excel (advanced), Word and PowerPoint.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with an ability to work independently or with others as and when required.
- Experience in a similar role in a legal or other professional services environment preferred.
- Degree educated (ideally in accounting and finance)
- Credibility to be seen and accepted as a trusted advisor to the COO and partners.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.