This part time role is for a fixed term ending 02 January 2022, to support and deliver the Christmas at Gibside event at NT Gibside, working closely with our commercial partners. Over the period you will work an average of 3 days per week, but working days and hours will vary during the pre-event, event and post-event periods.
During the event it is likely that you will work up to 3 x shifts of up to 8.5 hours each per week, and you'll be required to work a proportion of the 32 event dates as one of the three National Trust Duty Managers.
Hours: hours over the contract length approx. 120 hours
What it's like to work here
Situated just outside Gateshead, this 18th century landscape garden and wildlife haven is loved by the local community. Weekly activities, play trails, and an adventure playground have made Gibside popular with families, and visitor numbers have doubled in the last five years. The lively pub and beer garden offers local ales, comfort food and a play space for the kids. The staff welcome people with lots of energy to join this friendly garden landscape, situated on the edge of the city.
Click here for more information about this location What you'll be doing
You'll have responsibility for the day to day venue operational management of the event, including throughout the rig, event and de-rig periods. Working with property colleagues, and event partners, you will ensure that Gibside's buildings and landscape receive the appropriate protection, and maximise opportunities to communicate the core purpose and work of the National Trust to the tens of thousands of visitors. You'll have operational line management responsibility for NT staff & volunteers on event nights, and local responsibility for the consistent delivery of a great visitor experience for our visitors.
You'll use your strong people skills to establish good working relationships with property colleagues and event partners, and lead on the venue duty management rota for the event, supported by members of the Gibside management and wider property team. You'll also work closely with Dunham's Business Support Team to answer customer queries, provide information and assist with the administration of the event in general.
A key part of this role is to ensure full compliance with relevant national systems and procedures, promoting awareness of health & safety and assessing and managing risk to ensure the safe and cost effective operation of the event at all times, and to deliver a consistently high standard of presentation and a great Dunham welcome to all of our visitors. Please read role profile attached.
Who we're looking for
It's a significant role at a busy property and we need someone who can take on a challenge to maintain the great reputation of this event. To deliver this role successfully, you'll need to have:
- Significant operational management experience in a busy customer facing environment and/or at historic properties. Appreciation of balancing visitor experience and revenue generation
- Extensive experience of assessing & managing risk, knowledge of health & safety and compliance requirements and planning for and managing emergency scenarios
- Strong people skills enabling establishment of good working relationships with colleagues and partners, including delivery through others and use of collective team experience
- Ability to work on own initiative, respond to varying pressures, manage difficult situations
- Leadership experience including good decision making skills, positive attitude, accountability, organisation skills
Candidates should be available to commence work ideally in the week commencing 15th November 2021.
- Good communication skills including public presentation, complaints handling
The National Trust has the motto 'For everyone, for ever' at its heart. We're working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It's important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we're for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
Wherever you're from, and whatever your background, we want to hear from you - and it doesn't matter if you're jam first, cream first, or even if you don't like scones at all. Everyone is welcome.
Benefits for working at the National Trust include:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer to support you.