Venesky-Brown's client, a public sector organisation in Edinburgh, is currently looking to recruit a Finance Manager for an initial 3 month contract on a rate of £20.90-£24.47/hour. Due to the current circumstances this role will be remote based in the first instance however some office based work in Edinburgh may be required during the contract.
- Developing and managing relationships with Managers and budget holders, understanding the business and identifying opportunities to influence the strategic direction of directorates and the decisions they are making.
- Providing analysis and review in the Directorate monthly variance analysis reports, for consideration by Executive Team, Board, and other senior leadership groups.
- Significant involvement in operational planning and budgeting process, including preparation of Directorate budgets in consultation with Directorate colleagues.
- Coaching responsibilities for the Analysts who support the Directorates through the preparation of management accounts and transactional analysis.
- Provision of ad-hoc financial support within Directorates and to the Head of Finance
- Business Partnering, showing a can-do attitude and enabling evidence-based decisions.
- Representing Finance within key Directorate management groups.
- Taking ownership of the overall financial position of the Directorates, using professional judgement to identify and investigate areas of concern and ensuring effective understanding of Directorate activities.
- Collating and reviewing the Corporate financial position on a monthly basis, ensuring information is robust and complete and preparing draft finance papers for Board and other senior committees.
- Take ownership of the management of the corporate budget and its reconciliation to the General Ledger.
- Support the Head of Finance Business Partnering to plan, oversee and report on the financial planning process, collating and reviewing corporate information.
- Working with colleagues from across the finance directorate to ensure processes, systems and information provided meets the needs of the Finance Business Partnering team.
- Identifying potential improvements to finance processes with a particular focus on using core financial and reporting systems (Cedar/e-Financials, PECOS, Business Objects) to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of finance work.
- Contributing to the continuous improvement approach across the range of Finance Directorate tasks.
- Supporting line manager, the head of the Finance Business Partners team, as required.
- When required, deputising for line manager or representing the Finance Directorate at both internal and external events.
- CCAB Accountancy qualification (or recognised international equivalent)
- Experience in collection, analysis and reporting of large quantities of qualitative and quantitative data
- Significant experience of budget management and forecasting in a complex environment
- Experience of business partnering and/or providing support and challenge to senior colleagues
- Demonstrable experience of using and appropriately applying a wide range of accounting theories and concepts
- Experience of developing and maintaining financial models
- Ability to work on own initiative, to organise and prioritise workload and to meet strict deadlines.
- Experience of identifying and implementing process improvement
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, including the ability to build highly effective working relationships
- Ability to present highly complex financial data to non-specialists in a clear and comprehensible way, challenging proposals when appropriate
- Excellent IT and information management skills especially in excel
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills with an ability to exercise judgement appropriately
- Ability to manage own and other's time efficiently over long projects
- Ability to work effectively as part of dispersed teams in an open plan environment
- Experience of working in the public sector
- Experience of coaching and developing colleagues
- Experience of drafting reports at Board or Committee level.
- Ability to represent Directorate and Finance in formal meetings internally and externally with gravitas
- Leadership skills
- Familiarity with any or all of the systems described in the job summary
If you would like to hear more about this opportunity please get in touch.