Part of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Operations will have strategic responsibility for all operational aspects of the BeDifferent Federation.
LEADERSHIP AND STRATEGY
- The Director will lead the team responsible for all of the operational and business aspects of the Federation, managing and motivating a diverse team across three locations.
- The Director will be responsible for managing the combined budget (greater than £7,000,000) of the Federation across three schools and working across three sites.
- The Director of Operations will support the Chief Executive Headteacher in a range of non-teaching responsibilities, including Management Information and ICT, Human Resource Management, Property and Facilities Management and Health and Safety across the BeDifferent Federation.
FINANCIAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Take an active role within the Senior Leadership Team, attend and present to the Full Governing Body and appropriate Governors' sub-committee meetings across the Federation.
- Make strategic decisions on operational issues within the school's Senior Leadership Team and in the absence of the Chief Executive, take full delegated responsibility for financial and other non-teaching decisions across the Federation.
- Manage a team of seven people across three sites, motivating the team to perform at a high level and securing the efficient use of resources.
- Responsible for the Federated budget in excess of £7,000,000 including:
- Working with the Senior Leadership Team and Governors, prepare a realistic and balanced budget for the Federation.
- Present the proposed budget to the Governing Body for approval.
- Direct the financial planning process for all three schools and work with the Heads of School to finalise budgets for all three schools.
- Monitor budgets and control performance to achieve value for money and account for any variance. Propose revisions in response to significant or unforeseen developments.
- Provide ongoing financial information to the Governing Body and Leadership Team.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Schools' Financial Management system, records and processes.
- Put in place robust procedures to tackle the risk of fraud.
- Develop and execute a strategic procurement plan to ensure the Federation achieves best value for money in all purchasing and maximises income from all income generating activities.
- Negotiate contracts and purchasing for the Federation and each school within the Federation and monitor the effectiveness and implementation of agreements.
- Lead on safeguarding responsibilities within the non-teaching staff:
- To be fully aware of the duties and responsibilities arising from the Children's Act 2004 and Working Together in relation to child protection and the safeguarding of children and young people as this applies to the Director Operation's role within the organisation.
- To be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to vulnerable adults in relation to the Director Operation's role. To ensure that the Chief Executive is made aware and kept fully informed of any concerns which the Director of Operations may have in relation to safeguarding and/or child protection.
- Ensure that the single central register is regularly updated and shared at half-termly Business Committee meetings.
The Director of Operations will also work with the Chief Executive Headteacher on a range of other non-teaching responsibilities. Experience in these areas is desirable but more important is a willingness to learn and enthusiasm for delivering excellent services:
- Responsible for the administrative functions across each school and within the Federation and lead the administrative staff team. This will include establishing, managing, reviewing and improving administrative systems across the Federation, using data analysis, evaluation and reporting systems to maximise efficiency and avoid duplication.
- In partnership with the Chief Executive Headteacher, develop an Information Technology strategy for the Federation which meets the individual needs of all the schools within the Federation.
- Responsible for human resource management within the Federation including payroll services, management of pension schemes and associated services, including ensure that systems are in place to pay all staff reliably and correctly and managing recruitment across the Federation.
- To take strategic leadership with the Chief Executive Headteacher for all premises management across the Federation, on multiple sites, including ensuring safe and secure environments in which due learning processes can be provided and decisions on the purchase and repair of all furniture and fittings can be made.To oversee the health and safety strategy across the Federation, including, in partnership with the Chief Executive Headteacher, that any coronavirus outbreak management plans and risk assessments are widely understood