c. £50k-£55k, plus excellent benefits
12 months maternity cover - this is a full-time role but we offer a range of flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to take advantage of them.
Blackfriars, London - we offer flexibility to work remotelyClosing date: 20 September 2021 at 8amWe are recruiting for an Investment Associate!About Nesta
We are Nesta, the UK's innovation agency for social good. We design, test and scale solutions to society's biggest problems. Our three missions are to give every child a fair start, help people live healthy lives, and create a sustainable future where the economy works for both people and the planet.
For over 20 years, we have worked to support, encourage and inspire innovation. We work in three roles: as a venture builder supporting new and early stage businesses, as an innovation partner working with frontline organisations to design and test new solutions and as a system shaper creating the conditions for innovation. Nesta Impact Investments delivers the venture builder role.
We are an organisation of 250 staff, working relentlessly to change millions of lives for the better. Find out more at nesta.org.ukAbout Nesta Impact Investments team
This role sits within Nesta's Impact Investment team. Through our investment activity, we provide financial, knowledge and network capital to innovative tech ventures that are changing the world for good. We typically invest between £500k and £1m equity capital into early stage businesses at the Seed and Series A stages.
How will an Investment Associate contribute to Nesta's success?
Working alongside the Investment Directors, you will contribute to the achievement of our goals by working with Nesta's sector experts to identify and invest in exceptional businesses with significant potential to deliver both financial returns and high levels of impact in line with Nesta's purpose and strategy.The role
Contribute to the achievement of our goals by supporting NII Investment Directors as they:
- research social, policy, technology and market information to contribute to investment strategy development, dealflow and target identification
- publish blogs and support networking
- carry out and manage proactive financial, technical, market and legal due diligence investigations into target investee enterprises
- prepare investment papers for Investment Committee review
- manage and support legal processes to complete investments
- implement post-completion investment engagement plans
- work with and support investee companies post-investment
- collate portfolio performance data and prepare quarterly portfolio performance reports.
- build cross Nesta relationships to maintain a good understanding of broader Nesta activities
We are looking for a driven, diligent and dynamic individual passionate about making a difference through enterprise and innovation. We are interested in candidates from a wide range of possible backgrounds, including but not limited to; strategy consulting, finance, operational roles within tech startups, or with technology expertise.
The Associate role is a delivery role within the Impact Investments team and is suited to a candidate who is able to take supported responsibility for their personal contribution to our shared goals.We are looking for someone:
What we offer
- who has strong commitment to delivering social and environmental impact through their work.
- who is an outstanding communicator, with strong verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- who might have a technical background but does have a genuine interest in technology.
- with good financial experience, most likely from finance, consultancy, technology/start-ups or other relevant sectors.
- with a strong analytical skill set and commercial mindset and intellectual curiosity.
- who can evidence of working to a high standard to deadlines, acting and thinking independently to manage competing demands and prioritise.
- with familiarity with early stage investment approaches and structures, public sector commissioning environments and concepts of social impact.
Salary: c£50 - 55k plus array of benefits, including a generous employer pension contribution, health cash plans, dental insurance, the ability to buy and sell annual leave, eyecare vouchers and more
Location: This role is based in Blackfriars, London, but we offer flexibility for our people to work remotely
Term: 12 months (Mat cover)
Hours: This is a full-time role but we offer a range of flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to take advantage of them. Many do.
Reports to: Executive Director of InvestmentsMaking an application
To apply for this role, please submit your application before 8am on 20th September 2021.At Nesta, we believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
We want our workforce to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our workplace to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
This means that when we are recruiting, we actively seek to reach a diverse pool of candidates. It also means that we are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, compressed or part-time hours, job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you'd like to explore.