People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like "hard work" and "dedication" together with "community" and "respect" has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
DESCRIPTION OF THE BUSINESS LINE OR DEPARTMENT
The Kleinwort Hambros legal department is part of the legal function of the Societe Generale Group and, as such, has to comply with the Charter of the Societe Generale Group Legal Function.
The legal team for Kleinwort Hambros supervises the activities of the SG Kleinwort Hambros group of companies based in the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar and Singapore.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
The key purposes of the role are:
To ensure the legal security, certainty and conformity of the activities exercised by the Kleinwort Hambros group entities including best practice as regards corporate governance with ensure a robust control framework across the Kleinwort Hambros group; To proactively identify and participate in managing the legal operational risks and opportunities, including prevention and monitoring of litigation, relevant to the Kleinwort Hambros group; To participate in the effective management of external legal resources and exposure; and To support the activities and operations of the department of credit services across the Kleinwort Hambros group.
* Participates in supporting the business activities across the Kleinwort Hambros group
* Analyses the legal risks of the business activities, as well as operations offered to customer and prospective customers, associated in particular to:
provision of private banking and credit services financial services regulation and their impact on the Kleinwort Hambros group financing documentation and implementation of guarantees trusts and fiduciary services contracts with financial intermediaries and service providers new products and services.
Ensures compliance with the SG Legal Handbook and Legal Function Charter such that Kleinwort Hambros legal policies and procedures reflect SG Policy and directives, best practice and current law and are applied consistently across the Kleinwort Hambros group to enable each entity to comply with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements in each jurisdiction; Cooperates in any significant issue/investigation (including client complaints, employee actions etc) within the Kleinwort Hambros group and in co-ordination with SEGL/JUR/RJC for any major litigation or dispute including the treatment of litigation; Assists on files or requests coming from the SG Private Banking Head Office legal department; Participates in the work of the Legal function of the Société Generale group (including the reporting tool, legal function works and SG legal and regulatory watch etc);Assists in ensuring the delivery of a legal and regulatory watch for the Kleinwort Hambros group is completed and senior management are regularly appraised of material legal and regulatory changes; Participates in internal training programmes and continues to maintain up to date and relevant legal education through internal / external seminars Participates in developing relationships with external legal suppliers to ensure an appropriate, efficient and cost-effective provision of external legal support to the Kleinwort Hambros group. Performs all duties in accordance with the principles outlined in the Kleinwort Hambros Code of Conduct, as well as the policies and procedures relevant to your responsibilities, to ensure that you adhere to a culture that treats clients fairly and focuses on the long term sustainability of client relationships
LEVEL OF AUTONOMY AND AUTHORITY
* Provision of English law advice
* Allocation of projects and work to junior lawyers
COMPETENCIES AND WORK EXPERIENCE
* Individual contributor competencies as defined in the SG Leadership Model
* Self-starter with a proactive and flexible approach to work, able to exercise a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness in problem solving and be confident outside their 'comfort zone'
* Exceptional organisational and project management skills, including ability to evaluate and prioritise work schedules and manage time
* Excellent communicator, written and oral - clear, calm and with gravitas. Strong presentation skills
* Strong analytical approach to resolve and minimise legal risks
* Business competence and general commercial awareness to enable effective contribution to SGPBH Group objectives
* Strong interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills
* Strong technical legal and regulatory knowledge of the local regulation applying to banks (in particular private banking activities), wealth planning, trusts, investment funds, asset management and market products.
* Experience with a significant (e.g. City) law firm or non-UK equivalent.
* In-house experience within the financial services industry.
Qualifications required or desirable
Experienced solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales, or analogous common law qualification or equivalent non-UK qualified lawyer with Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test 2.1 honours or better degree
Fluent English Other languages are an advantage, especially French