We are seeking to appoint a Science Technician to join our innovative team as soon as possible.
Science is an exceptionally successful and high performing department at all key stages. This could be a fantastic opportunity for a science graduate interested in gaining school experience or laboratory skills.About Us
Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is a mixed Academy for 1,300 students aged 11-18, with a large sixth form of over 350 students. The Academy has three consecutive Outstanding judgments by Ofsted, with the most recent inspection in 2014 finding the Academy to be Outstanding in every aspect. We are a consistently high performing school; in 2019, our progress 8 score was 0.61, 94% of our students achieved a 4+ in English and 86% in maths. Our motto, 'All Can Achieve' encapsulates our vision that all members of the Academy community are supported and encouraged to achieve their absolute potential.
We have recently been designated as a 'Teaching School Hub' and we are able to offer all teachers an extensive programme of first class professional development. Harris City Academy Crystal Palace is part of the Harris Federation and this enables us to offer you a comprehensive induction programme and training and development opportunities to support your career development including Masters and other qualifications.Main Areas of Responsibility
Qualifications and Experience
- To assist and advise teaching staff on the preparation and layout in classrooms for practical exercises, running trials of experiments, demonstrations and helping students with learning activities as appropriate.
- To ensure equipment and materials prepared for lessons are to the specification of the teacher requisitions, including making up special equipment or modifying from existing equipment as necessary from instructions supplied by the science teaching staff.
- In conjunction with the appropriate teachers to advise students on the safe and proper use of tools and equipment and on the correct and safe way to carry out learning activities. To also advise staff, as necessary, on Health and Safety issues and on the best way to carry out practical work, new ways of demonstrating experiments, new techniques or procedures available.
- To assist in the safety, repair and general maintenance of all resources, equipment and tools in conjunction with the appropriate line managers. To advise these on any maintenance or inspection needed by the equipment which is beyond postholder's competence.
- To be responsible for the welfare and care of the plants and animals in the science area and the security of the equipment.
- Ensure understanding of science syllabus and schemes of work in order to prepare for practical lessons adequately.
- To assist with stock keeping, using the computerised stock take database to include chemicals, equipment, textbooks, stationery, etc. and ensuring that appropriate levels of stock are maintained. Carrying out regular stocktaking checks and ordering as necessary.
- To undertake safety checks as required and comply with the requirements of Health and Safety, COSHH and other relevant legislation and school documentation. This to include carrying out appropriate risk assessments for practical and technical activities.
- Ensure Implementation of health and safety regulations across the subject area.
- To assist in ensuring that all equipment and materials are stored safely and securely, ensuring that they are maintained in good condition, with clear records, and readily available for issue.
- To dispose of used chemicals/hazardous waste in a safe manner as well as ensuring that hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained in the laboratory and preparation areas.
- To undertake basic maintenance and cleaning of equipment and to organise its construction, cleaning, servicing and repair as required in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
- Keep up to date with health and safety regulations and with developments in practical science, attending relevant courses and reading publications;
- To work in close association with other technical staff to assist in keeping areas neat, clean, tidy and in a safe condition in readiness for lessons, as well as cleaning and making safe spills, breakages and related incidents that require careful handling and ensuring.
- Educated to A Level or equivalent (A Level in either physics, chemistry or biology)
- COSHH training as appropriate
- Basic knowledge of Health and Safety regulations
- Good understanding of a range of chemicals and their properties
- Experience or solid understanding of working as a technician in a school or educational establishment, undertaking a range of practical tasks
- Experience of managing and being responsible for own workload.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.Equal Opportunities
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.