Solihull ( 3 days work from home)
As Risk Manager you will own the day to day management of the Consumer Finance credit risk strategies and associated controls, ensuring that lending follows the correct standards of the business whilst treating customers fairly by putting them at the heart of everything we do. You'll review and provide recommendations on the effectiveness of credit risk controls and strategies including monitoring performance against key risk indicators/appetite and analysis of actual performance against expectations, providing insights into any variances and detrimental customer behaviours.
You will own and manage an ongoing programme of analysis to support agreed business requirements for acquisition & customer management credit risk - statistical model development and use, setting and reviewing score cut-offs and risk based pricing, initial and through the life-cycle credit limit/new loan strategies, life-time loss and predicted bad rate modelling and affordability assessments. You will also ensure effective monitoring of Consumer Finance portfolios performance is in place, identifying and highlighting emerging trends and investigating issues, developing appropriate solutions to improve customer experience and business performance .
• Manage a team of credit risk analysts to ensure the asset quality of the Consumer Finance portfolio(s) are consistent with agreed plans and in accordance with the agreed risk appetite, presenting to relevant forums and senior management on the performance of credit risk strategies, emerging trends and issues.
• Own manage and maintain documentation of risk management policy and associated strategies within account opening and account management systems, to maximise returns and support the operational teams whilst protecting the interests of our customers.
• Lead a programme to continually identify opportunities to safely grow the business without compromising credit quality and returns, proactively sharing insight on expected changes arising from new strategies & policies with stakeholders.
• Actively manage your workload and that of the team to ensure that prioritisation of activities is established in line with line management and stakeholders expectations.
• Ensure the generation of key management information is in place for associated governance forums in order to support business direction setting, the protection of our customers and ensure risk appetite objectives are met.
• Own the end to end production of agreed monthly and ad-hoc reporting for key stakeholders, highlighting key performance and customer trends, opportunities and potential course of action.
• Apply commercial acumen to interpret the results and produce actionable recommendations.
• Provide an effective personal contribution to the sharing of knowledge, ideas and information relating to credit risk management across the business, building and maintaining relationships and networks, internally and externally, seeking and sharing good practice and knowledge to support continuous improvement.
• Where required, deputise for the Head of Risk (Consumer Finance) and manage the activity of team, providing direction and taking responsibility for the work that they undertake.
• Plan, control and deliver assigned projects, and participate as appropriate in cross functional projects and investigations; ensuring requirements are delivered to plan.
• Provide guidance, support and coaching to assigned staff to facilitate their development and achievement of their objectives and maintain a high level of motivation within the team.
• Educated to Degree level or higher
• Experience of managing and developing a team
• Able to get the best out of people
• Experience in SAS Base / SQL or similar programming language
• Highly Numerate
• Excellent analytical and communication skills
• Able to take initiative and ownership of work
• Ability to liaise and work with other departments.
• Ability to supervise and train other members of staff if needed
• Good Excel & Word skills.
• Able to prioritise and organise for self and others
• Ability to generate ideas to challenge existing business practices
• Very strong analytical background to be able to set relevant analysis to answer questions
• Able to think outside own area of responsibility
• Flexible - able to fit in with business needs
• Able to make logical connections
• Complete understanding of the consumer risk lifecycle
• Very good knowledge of credit bureau data and products
• Experience working on different financial products
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Self-motivated and committed to delivery
• Strong desire to succeed and exceed goals set