Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
The Legal department provides legal services to and manages the legal risk for MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities (EMEA) and the MUSHD international business (collectively the "Firm").
Members of Legal are dual-hatted across MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities. Dual-hat employees will be expected to be entity neutral across all responsibilities to ensure that services are provided to both entities effective and without favour or detriment to the other entity.
The Legal department's principal functions are to:
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
- Provide legal services and legal advice to each international securities business and banking businesses
- Draft, review and negotiate contractual documentation, whether transactional or non-transactional
- Draft notes and other product documentation and arrange for issuance of such notes and products
- Draft, review and negotiate loan agreements (syndicated or bilateral, ECA financings, LMA based or bespoke contractual arrangements)
- Draft, review and negotiate trade finance credit lines and products, as well as trade finance instruments
- Provide legal and execution advice in relation to transactions and new business
- Provide transaction management support for securities issues and financing transactions arranged or underwritten by an international securities business
- Provide support for internal projects (internal restructurings and/or regulatory driven)
- Evaluate legal risk to ensure business is conducted in a lawful and professional manner
- Identify and advise on the implementation of new laws and regulations
- Provide legal oversight of regulatory matters and government affairs
- Manage all disputes, litigation, regulatory proceedings and other contentious matters
- Manage and approve all use of law firms
0MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a 5+ years qualified lawyer with capital markets experience lawyer, with some banking/lending/trade finance experience to join our team as a permanent member.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- In this role, the successful candidate will, as a member of the Legal - Primary Markets team, providing services which cover MUFG's banking arm and securities business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, the employee will act and make decisions on behalf of both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority, and irrespective of the entity which employs them.
- Advise on, participate in and implement Firm and International Business transactions, proceedings, actions, projects and initiatives.
- Provide (a) legal advice, review draft and negotiate documentation and (b) all related and essential transaction management in relation to:
Capital Markets transactions:
- Reg S/ 144A offerings : MTN Programmes, standalone bond offerings, syndicated and non-syndicated issuances under EMTN Programmes (including flow MTN trades), tender and exchange offers, consent solicitations, SEC registered bond offerings,
- Review, draft and negotiate transaction documents, including but not limited to, mandate letters, term-sheets, subscription/underwriting agreements, dealer managers agreement, comfort letters, legal opinions and provide all related and essential transaction management.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCEFunctional / Technical Competencies:
- Syndicated loans, LMA investment grade based, along with ECA backed financings
- Bilateral loans - in form of standard templates or bespoken credit arrangements
- Trade finance lines - structured deals (such as Borrowing Based Facility, PXF lines) as well as commodities trade finance products _(such as RDAs, invoice discounting) and trade finance instruments (LCs, LGs, payment/performance bonds)
- Security package part of the financings
- Cash management services.
- Advise and assist business units in the new business process and initiatives.
- Coordinate the establishment, updates and administration of note/loan issuance programmes.
- Provide legal advice and support with respect to strategic, legal and documentation matters and initiatives in relation to capital markets and banking transactions.
- Advise on the legal, regulatory and reputational issues arising in transactions and in the non-transactional aspects of the operation and business activities of the Firm and the International Business.
- Participate in industry forums and working groups.
- Participate in working groups and committees of the Firm and the International Business.
- A minimum of 5+ years PQE in UK or equivalent jurisdiction, preferably at an in-house legal department or leading law firm with primary experience in capital markets.
- Some experience and familiarity with the corporate lending, trade finance and transaction banking - beneficial.
- Demonstrate commercial awareness of the latest market issues and regulatory changes.
- Capital markets experience with a solid foundation and sound knowledge in the execution of international capital markets transactions, together with the related regulatory background (including working knowledge of United States securities law).
- Ability to build effective and positive client relationships (internal and external) quickly and fully embrace the importance of client service.
- Ability to explain complex legal concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written & verbal
- Team player
- Keen to learn new area of practice
- Proactive and enthusiastic, with a motivated approach
- Pragmatic, curious and commercially minded
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to speak/read another language is desirable although not essential
- A diverse and inclusive cultural vision.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.