We are Lick
Our mission is to be the definitive community-powered brand that builds decorating confidence by inspiring and supporting all decorators with their projects.
Lick is a community-powered decorating movement. We are a force for change in the home decor space with a vision to transform the industry for our decorators and for the planet.
We're a business that believes in building confidence in our decorators. Seeing their bright ideas and making them happen. We do this by giving our do-er uppers access to inspiration, advice and how-to guidance from our experts and wider community. As well as making our range of (water-based, low VOC) paint, (FSC-certified) wallpaper, blinds and supplies with real people and real homes in mind.About the Role
Following a period of incredible growth we are looking for someone to join the business as our first Financial Accountant and support our Finance Director in developing a best-in-class finance department at Lick.
Launching just over 18 months ago, the business has enjoyed incredible success with over 200k orders shipped to more than 120k customers. As the business continues to grow and scale, our reporting and compliance obligations will increase in volume and complexity. These obligations will be within the UK and also international (EU and US) and the need to bring greater scrutiny and control to our internal finance processes is therefore a high priority. We are looking for someone who can take a hands-on role in managing the day-to-day as well as playing an important role in helping to shape the future development of the team.
All financial procedures are currently overseen by our Finance Director, with month-end bookkeeping and management accounts outsourced to external accounting partners. We will continue to outsource bookkeeping in the short-term and this will be managed by the Financial Accountant who will work closely with our external accountants to improve accuracy and timelines . In time, this role will then manage the transition to in-house reporting and it provides a wonderful opportunity to directly influence the development of a finance function from the bottom up.
The ability to thrive in an evolving environment will be key to success in this role, along with a desire to seek innovation and efficiency in everything that we do. We are searching for an ambitious individual with an aptitude to think logically and strategically, to be curious, to challenge and to obsess about the small details.
The ideal candidate will be someone who understands the building blocks of accounting, AP and month-end and who possesses an awareness and enthusiasm to be hands-on in managing and developing existing processes. The role will suit a technically strong and experienced Assistant Accountant looking to the take the next step in their career or an existing Financial Accountant with aspirations to grow into a Financial Controller in the future.
We would love to hear from you if you are excited about joining a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment, motivated to challenge yourself to grow and learn and if you are passionate to help build the foundations of a first class finance team.Our Systems
We are continually developing and evolving our systems and reporting capabilities. Currently we use Xero for financial reporting, Pento for payroll management, Spendesk for invoice and expense management and Juni for performance related spend. We are always looking for ways to improve and utilise emerging technology and fresh ideas are always encouraged. A passion for innovation is very important to this roleResponsibilities
- Hands-on management of month-end reporting and bookkeeping processes with our external accountants, supported by our Finance Director when necessary.
- A key objective will be to reduce the timeline for delivering monthly reporting within deadlines agreed with the Finance Director.
- Monthly review and reconciliation of Balance Sheet accounts and month-end provisions.
- Prepare and manage the transition to in-house reporting along with ongoing management of external accountants for overseas markets.
- Stakeholder happiness - enthusiastic about building confidence within the Lick family around all things finance by facilitating proactive and collaborative communication.
- A good understanding of our diverse decorator community and of the issues critical to our business along with an ability to build and design inclusive and tailored solutions that work for all.
- Ownership of our invoice management and approval workflow, supporting everyone in the business with queries and helping to prepare approved invoices for payment. Ongoing monitoring of Spendesk and Juni to ensure sufficient funds are available for company use.
- Monthly and ongoing financial review with key people from across the business. This will include analysis of monthly expenditure to ensure the correct GL allocation of invoices, provide visibility of performance against budget and impart commercial awareness around the impact of expenditure on the profitability. Important relationships will be with (not but limited to) the Growth, Brand, People and Operations teams. This will be an opportunity to develop important business partnering skills and to build meaningful cross-functional connections.
- Support the Finance Director around inventory accounting, ensuring accurate reporting of COGS and inventory levels and ensuring the Operations team have full visibility of KPIs and tracking of same against targets.
- Assist the Finance Director in setting-up and managing regulatory and fiscal compliance as the business expands into new markets in Europe and the US. This will be an excellent opportunity to gain valuable international exposure.
- Together with the Finance Director, documentation of processes, development of our control framework and ongoing evaluation and mitigation of risk.
- Embedding a culture of best financial practice throughout the business, from top to bottom.
The Experience We Are Looking For:
- 2+ years' experience of working in a transactional finance team within a retail business.
- Proven experience of performing a month-end management reporting process.
- Exposure to eCommerce and/or multi-channel retail will be beneficial.
- Strong and demonstrable knowledge of accounting first principles.
- Newly or part-qualified accountant (ACCA/ACA/CIMA).
- You have experience of working in an uncertain and rapidly changing environment, whilst building or enhancing new or existing systems.
- Intermediate Excel/ Google Sheets (Advanced excel an advantage).
- Good understanding of accounting software, with hands-on knowledge of Xero advantageous.
- Previous experience working with growth/marketing teams is helpful.
- An aptitude for numbers and an attention to detail.
- A multi-tasker. As part of working in a fast-growth start-up, the ability to manage competing priorities with evolving levels of importance will be crucial. You will be someone who is comfortable with change and pace.
- Fun, kind and personable.
- A warm and articulate communicator.
- Good commercial awareness and ability to understand stakeholder challenges.
- Willing to roll your sleeves-up and get stuck into the small details.
- Quick learner who is curious and inquisitive with a proactive mindset.
- Enthusiastic and comfortable managing projects with autonomy.
- Humble and willing to admit mistakes.
- A competitive salary and opportunity to earn equity options grants.
- You'll get first-hand experience of being part of, and growing with, a high growth, super early stage, fast-moving, and ambitious company.
- 26 days holiday (including your birthday off) + bank holidays, with a relaxed approach.
- Option to work remotely from anywhere in the world for 1 month each year.
- Generous allowance for Lick products.
- Private pension scheme, salary sacrifice benefits (i.e. cycle to work)
- Relaxed work from home policy / use the office if/when you like with some set days each month which you will agree with your manager.
- A growth-focused team, you will enjoy our monthly Expert Knowledge Shares and bespoke interior design training programs.
- Contribute to building and scaling a culture where wellbeing is part of how we do things, not just a bonus.
- Lots of amazing opportunities to get to know other members of the team at our team lunches, socials and offsite and have an impact on our culture through our Wellbeing Board and Diversity Board and beyond.
- A proactive approach to creating a working environment that supports/reflects our team member's unique personal needs.
- You are hopefully reading this and thinking I can't wait to be part of the team that makes this even better as the company grows ;)
Lick is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this job