Director - Senior Credit Underwriter - Team Lead
Serves the needs of scale up or medium sized and fast-growing SMEs; professionals; high net worth and mass affluent individuals - market segments that still value human service enabled by great technology.
Professional and personal lives often overlap, and the banks mission is to help empower their customers to achieve their ambitions by serving all their interdependent banking needs. They provide a comprehensive range of digitally enabled products and services to meet the property finance, business and commercial banking, private banking and personal savings needs of their customers.
Their human and digital model transforms banking for customers who still value a face-to-face relationship that is enabled by the latest digital technology.
The bank is on an exciting UK wide journey of growth and diversification.
Main responsibilities of role:
· Manage, develop and motivate a team of 10 underwriters across various asset classes.
· Manage workflow within a broad spectrum of lending proposals, providing timely responses in line with business priorities/SLAs.
· Support the application of effective credit risk management standards through the implementation of agreed business wide and departmental policies and procedures.
· Lead and participate in projects to improve loan sanctioning and credit management processes & policies.
· Ensure new Credit proposals within each business unit are reviewed and approved in line with agreed Risk Appetite and approval frameworks.
· Exercise personal delegated responsibility to approve transactions within approval mandate for lending businesses.
· Assist with providing clarifications over all policy-related matters and proposing process improvements where necessary.
· Maintain a close relationship with the business unit teams.
· Support discussion on Credit related matters at the relevant business Executive Committees.
· Maintain an effective risk management framework, including reporting against risk appetite metrics, and ensuring lending policies, underwriting manuals and processes are fit for purpose.
· Participate in all relevant internal committees and forums, including credit committees, models governance committee and economic assumptions committee.
· Assume responsibility for the content of reports going to various stakeholders, including regulators and Executive and Board Risk Committees.
· Support the Chief Credit Officer and Chief Risk Officer and senior management team in any ad hoc queries or projects as they arise.
· Keep up-to-date with all relevant legal and regulatory developments across sectors.
· Respond to information requests from the Bank's regulators as required.
· Compiling, assessing, and reporting credit risk information to the relevant committees
· Previous general Banking experience including specific approving of Credit in a second line of defence role.
· Experience of developing and leading teams including performing all requisite performance reviews.
· Previous experience of a broad range of commercial business sectors, including Residential and Commercial Real Estate lending knowledge essential. Strong knowledge of real estate, mid-market corporate business credit risk and financial analysis.
· Previous experience of Asset Based Lending / Asset Finance and/or regulated lending would be seen as advantageous.
· Good knowledge of risk oversight and assurance assessments, processes, and reporting.
· Robust Credit reporting experience.
· Competent user of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
· Prepare and present credit reports for deals up to £20m.
· Experience across the entire credit lifecycle, including distressed debt/restructuring would be advantageous.
· Knowledge of the Basel accords, Credit Risk Regulations and IFRS9 reporting requirements
· Educated to degree level/relevant professional qualification or able to demonstrate suitable level of experience.
· Experience of working in a fast-paced environment that requires quick decision making
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work across teams
· Deep knowledge of the regulatory environment
Salary & Benefits:
Competitive basic salary, dependent upon experience. Various other benefits including an annual cash allowance, generous non-contributory pension, annual discretionary bonus, healthcare, life cover and more.
Great career opportunities for ambitious top performers as the bank continues to grow and diversify.