All About Us
Currie & Brown is currently looking for a MEP design manager to work on one of our client sites in Weybridge.
The building services design manager is a key stakeholder in the delivery of all projects undertaken at the APHA site in Weybridge and the regional laboratories. The successful candidate will be responsible for all matters relating to the building services design.All About The Role
The role of Building Services Design Manager is a key stakeholder in the delivery of all projects undertaken at the APHA Site in Weybridge and the Regional Laboratories. The Building Services Design Manager is responsible for acceptance of all matters relating to the building services design.
All About YouBackground and Requirements
- Selection of designers
- Reviewing designer performance
- Undertaking and supporting design reviews
- Sign-off of design stage gateways
- Advising on procurement routes where design activities are required; for example whether it is suitable for a project to be procured as Design and Build or Build Only in terms of design complexity and risk
- Managing improvements in the design supply chain
- Working collaboratively with the inhouse DEFRA and Currie & Brown architectural design managers
- Assisting Project Leads and Project Managers in relation to design matters
- Liaison and agreement with other stakeholders concerning suitable design maturity
- Development of processes and procedures to optimise project delivery
APHA is an executive agency of DEFRA, previously comprising the separate entities of Animal Health and the Veterinary Laboratories Agency. APHA comprises a number of regional laboratories as well as the main suite at Addlestone (referred to as APHA Weybridge).
The site at Weybridge started as the Central Veterinary in 1917 and provided a central facility to support the regions in the eradication and control of diseases affecting commercial livestock. The site now comprises over 80 buildings nearing 60,000m2 in gross floor area in a mix of high containment research and development and testing laboratories as well as animal holding facilities.
A significant number of the buildings are more than 40 years old and hence investment in upgrading and replacing the facilities is in progress. The investment planned is a mixture of refurbishment of existing stock and the creation of new facilities as part of a masterplan development.
The work undertaken at APHA Weybridge has a heavy Building Services leaning. This is due to the site including high containment facilities that rely on ventilation, power, steam etc to maintain a safe operational environment.
Building Services design experience is essential and the candidate must have a strong appreciation and understanding of building services within the science and research sector (or similar regulated sectors).
Experience of managing design is essential. The role requires a deep understanding of the design process. This understanding must go beyond recognition of the RIBA work stages; it is essential that the candidate has strong working knowledge of the design process so that they can adapt and direct the team to optimise the processes to suit the particular environments and demands here at the Weybridge site.
The candidate should be able to adapt and have the experience to flex processes and procedures to best suit the project(s) requirements. Innovation in the approach to design as well as the implementation of design is required.
The successful candidate will work alongside the existing inhouse DEFRA and Currie & Brown Design Managers.Minimum Requirements
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria
- Degree qualified in building services engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, process engineering and/or a construction industry related qualification
- Five years minimum post graduate experience in the construction industry
- Incorporated engineer and/or in the process of achieving Chartered status within the next 12 months.
- Chartered and/or Incorporated Engineer status shall be with one of the following institutions:
- Design management experience; whether in the role of Design Manager within an organisation or being project lead and managing the multi-disciplinary design for a project or number of projects.
- Science and Research experience with CL3/CL4 experience preferable, but not essential.