At RSVP, we believe that everyone deserves a life free from sexual violence and abuse. We offer empathic services to support and inspire children and adults of all genders who have been subjected to sexual violence and abuse.
We believe survivors. We are bold and will go the extra mile to support survivors. We are big hearted, showing the empathy that survivors deserve and need. If you fit these values, then we would love to hear from you!
What will you be doing?
The Company Secretary is an officer of the RSVP Board of Trustees. The role of the Company Secretary is to ensure that the governance and supporting systems are kept in order.
Together the trustees are collectively responsible for the governance and management of the
Charity, including regulatory compliance. However, the Company Secretary is expected to lead on all aspects of the charities adherence to legal and regulatory requirement that include submission of documentation to the appropriate body. This includes being able to present and explain any requirements to other trustees, to aid the Board’s understanding and ability to jointly make decisions about changes to the charities governance matters.
What are we looking for?
- Experience or knowledge of charity governance
- The ability to make an independent judgement on regulatory requirements and communicate these judgements to the CEO, management team and the Board of Trustees
- An ability to demonstrate the charities values through this role
- Commitment to the Rape and Sexual Violence Project for the period of election and the willingness to devote the time and effort required
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship
- A commitment to obtain a good grasp of the activities of charity. It is important to understand the links between our activities, people, and finances to fulfil the role effectively.
Please note, our strategic aim is to apply to become a member of Rape Crisis England and Wales. This requires the Vice Chair and Chair to be female and overall 75% of the Board must be female too. Given the current make up of our board we are only accepting applications from women at this time to meet this requirement.
We are also keen to increase representation on our board. We would especially welcome applications from people from a variety of ethnic minority backgrounds and younger people.
We also welcome applications from any one with lived experience of being subjected to sexual violence and abuse.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You will be joining a committed board. By providing your skills and experience you will help to ensure that the organisation continues to provide its invaluable services to the beneficiaries.
It is estimated that trustees can expect to commit approximately 60 hours a year / 15 hours per quarter to RSVP Board and related activities including the approximation of:
- Trustee meetings (10 hours)
- Trustees Subgroup meetings and activities (10 hours)
- Attendance at one training day and one strategy day (12 hours)
- Attend and preparing for the AGM (2 hours)
- Reading and responding to trustee related documentation include board meeting paper (16 hours)
- Ad hoc or situational additional meetings (10 hours)
Additional time commitment as Company secretary: Variable but estimated as 16 hours a year / 4 hours per quarter.
A few more details
The Reach TrusteeWorks Team are delighted to be supporting RSVP with their trustee recruitment. Please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the role or about trusteeship in general.
All Board members will be entitled to payment of expenses incurred in carrying out their duties, in line with the charity’s financial procedures.
How to apply
Applications should be made via the TrusteeWorks team in the first instance. RSVP WM ltd operate a values-based and safer recruitment approach. To apply please request a copy of the application pack from email@example.com, which is where the forms need to be returned. A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check will be required. We cannot accept a DBS check done by another agency, but we can accept an online portable one.