Academic Services Manager - £20.35ph plus Hol Pay - South West LondonStart ASAP to January 2022 initially* This role will involve three days on campus each week and two days remote. At the beginning of the assignment, it would be beneficial if you could attend the office full time to ensure successful induction to the role and the department. *
We are recruiting for an experienced Academic Services Manager
to join one of London's leading Universities. If you have previous experience in a similar post, gained within a Higher Education institute, we'd love to hear from you!Essential criteria for this post:
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strong management skills, extensive experience in a departmental\faculty level management type role
- Ability to manage difficult situations / difficult individuals
- Experience of working with senior academic colleagues at a department\faculty level
- Experience of working at pace in a pressurised environment
- Flexibility and agility
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to motivate and lead admin staff
- To manage all aspects of administration, working with the Head of Academic Services to ensure that this activity is fully co-ordinated with University processes and systems.
- To oversee the administrative support for programme validation and periodic reviews in the department.
- To provide positive leadership and line management to their teams by developing and supporting administrative. Working with the Head of Academic Services to identify and implement improvements to the student and staff experience.
- To ensure the provision of consistent and professional customer service for students, staff and external contacts through face-to-face, email and telephone communication.
- Ensuring that administrative policies, procedures and systems relating to academic programmes are implemented within academic departments.
- Managing the annual schedule of work for the student related cycle for academic departments including induction, enrolment, attendance, assessment and retention activities. Taking a pro-active approach to ensure that activities are planned and undertaken in a timely way.
- To liaise with HR account managers on the requirements for temporary contracts and on practical arrangements for new academic staff joining the department.
- Ensuring that there is effective liaison with central services with regard to students with disabilities.
- Implementing the records retention schedule and ensuring that administrative practices in the department adhere to the requirements of data protection legislation.
- To arrange an annual schedule of departmental meetings in reference to the University Calendar and to ensure that all such meetings are serviced appropriately and records are kept.
- To maintain paper and electronic records as required, including an archive of programme and module information, records of student assessment processes and records of departmental meetings.
- To liaise with the Finance Accountants and to oversee the day-to-day financial processes of the department and to assist in monitoring budgets.
- An ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in different areas of the University towards common goals
- A service-oriented approach and the ability to instil service values in others.
- A high level of personal effectiveness in the workplace, including the ability to work efficiently under pressure, to respond appropriately to challenging situations, to manage his/her own workload and to achieve objectives within deadlines.
- An ability to make rational and fair decisions within a prescribed framework.
- An ability to research and analyse quantitative and qualitative information.
- A thorough understanding of the taught and research student-related academic cycle in higher education and related administrative processes.
- Understanding of the principals involved in the day-to-day management of budgets and strategic planning.
- To have a high level of interpersonal skills allowing for the effective management of a team of staff.
- Extensive experience of working in the HE sector.
- Aware of current developments in the higher education sector and how these might impact on the institution.
- Experienced in applying rules in a professional administrative context.
- Demonstrates a high level of personal effectiveness and a willing approach to professional development.
- Experience of creating and manipulating spreadsheets.
- Managerial / supervisory skills, including the ability to plan and organise the work of an administrative team.
Due to time constraints and the number of applications we will only be able to respond personally to successful candidates. Hopefully you will be one of those. If not please do feel free to send your CV again for any other positions that are of interest.
Gray & Associates is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.