Responsible business (sometimes known as CSR, citizenship or sustainability) lies at the heart of the firm and its strategy for success. In the words of the senior partner: "the way we do business at Freshfields reflects who we are and what we stand for. We don't just want to advise our clients well, we want to do so in a responsible and sustainable way."
Our responsible business strategy [link] focuses on (i) the way we work (ii) how we engage with clients around RB and (ii) how we make a positive difference to the communities we touch, focusing our efforts on providing access to justice and access to opportunity.
The Responsible Business team is responsible for developing and delivering our strategy in respect of the external-facing aspects of responsible business, developing and delivering our environmental strategy and working closely with our HR teams to ensure a responsible working environment for our people.Role summary/purpose of job
The primary purpose of the job is to develop an environment strategy for the firm including setting and delivering targets for the firm's environmental commitments, to ensure compliance with local and regional laws and to ensure the firm meets clients' environmental expectations. Key responsibilities and deliverables
Key requirements (Communication/skills/experience) Essential
- Set an environmental strategy for the firm, including targets and achieve senior buy-in (individually or jointly with the Head of Client Sustainability and Environment);
- Put together a delivery plan to achieve these targets;
- Manage the firms' global green network which includes environmental representatives from each of our offices and regions;
- Represent the firm's environmental function in external events, client meetings and communications (individually or jointly with the Head of Client Sustainability & Environment);
- Represent the environmental function in internal events and communications;
- Compile and complete all client questionnaires and pitch requests relating to the environment
- Compile and complete all environmental data requests the firm is committed to, either legally or because of the voluntary platforms we participate in (UNGC, CDP, RE100, ...)
- In-depth and up to date understanding of the environmental agenda;
- Ability to understand how external developments in the environmental field impact the firm;
- Ability to develop forward thinking strategy and business plan, in partnership with the Head of Client Sustainability and Environment;
- Able to lead multiple projects at the same time;
- Ability to identify and manage the financial and human resources required to deliver the firm's environment strategy;
- Ability engage and influence volunteers at all levels in the business, including collaborating with other teams across the firm such as procurement, benefits, facilities etc. to incorporate environmental management/sustainability into their strategies;
- Experience in gathering environmental data according to standards (e.g. Global Reporting Initiative, UN Global Compact, ISO, CDP and RE100);
- Ability to translate environmental strategy and approach into internal and external communications campaigns
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Shows integrity and is able to maintain client confidentiality
- High level of PC/database skills, including MS Office, MS Project, Excel, Visio and Connect.
- Interested in environment and wider sustainability issues.
- Willingness for regular travel to the London office and some (infrequent) international travel
- Degree in an Environmental Science
- Previous experience of working in an environment or responsible business team;
- Experience of delivering high-quality projects;
- Project management or process improvement qualification with a focus on the environment
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer is a major international law firm, providing business law advice of the highest quality. We want to be the law firm that clients turn to for legal advice where it most matters, wherever in the world that may be. The Firm has over 2,400 lawyers in 28 offices around the world, providing a comprehensive service to national and multinational corporations, financial institutions and governments.
Our people make our firm - we are a people business and want to create a welcoming and supportive environment where all can flourish. We see diversity as a strength which creates fresh perspectives and generates new ideas. We enjoy our work and are determined to do an outstanding job. We deliver best when working in teams. Our culture is a product of the combined mindsets and behaviours of our people which is through the Being Freshfields principles, outlined below:
- we show respect to everyone
- we are there for one another
- we are open with each other
- we are positive role models
We think and work globally - we don't just say we are one firm; we act like one firm right across the world. We work wherever our clients need us. This is how we define ourselves, not by reference to where we have offices. Cross-border work isn't just what we do, it is what we excel at. We understand what it really takes to work across different legal systems and commercial environments and to bridge language and cultural gaps.
We aim to add value in everything we do - we are passionate about helping our clients succeed. We use our experience and creativity to help clients make judgements and achieve their goals. In everything we do, we seek to make a real difference to the communities in which we operate.
Freshfields is committed to promoting equality and diversity and to developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds make important and positive contributions to our business and how we service our clients.