Assistant Chief Engineer Submarine Combat Systems (DMP Support)
Business Unit: Submarine Support Engineering
Location: Plymouth, Devon, GB, PL1 4SG
Salary: £55,000 - £60,000
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced Chartered Engineer to fulfil the role of an Assistant Chief Engineer for Submarine Combat Systems.
Babcock Naval Nuclear - Submarine Support Engineering (SSE) team provides engineering management and technical support services to enable the delivery of the company's key contracted outputs to the client, essentially to deliver available and capable ships and submarines for the Royal Navy. The Maritime Missions Systems team within the SSE contains both Strategic and Combat Systems Engineers who provide submarine engineering support services to the client in addition to providing organic engineering support to the wider Babcock business across multiple sites.
This is a new and exciting opportunity for a suitably qualified and experienced Systems Engineer to assume a leading role in Babcock's contribution to the Submarine Combat System Enterprise. You will directly contribute to Naval Operations and the provision of safe, available and capable ships and submarines.
Your main duties will consist of ensuring combat system packages for submarines in deep maintenance projects are suitable in terms of scope and timescale, understanding the interdependencies between the whole boat and Combat System work packages, reviewing combat system packages and identify risks, opportunities and innovative solutions and representing Babcock SM combat system engineering activity in key Enterprise Groups at the Assistant Chief Engineer level.
* To play a major role in internal assurance for Babcock engineering activity in the field of SM Combat System Engineering
* To provide engineering peer review
* To provide mentoring and development of Babcock SM Combat System Engineers
* To work collaboratively with industry partners within the Submarine Combat System enterprise.
* To act as an internal Babcock subject matter expert on Submarine Combat Systems., providing advice and facilitating coherent information exchange and conducting engineering peer reviews.
* Conduct internal and external reviews of complex submarine combat system issues and produce LFE reports.
What do I need to do the role?
You'll need to possess an Engineering degree with significant experience or a HND/HNC with extensive relevant experience and have membership or applying for membership of a professional engineering body.
Would also like you to hold experience in the following:
* Demonstrate significant technical and management experience and knowledge.
* Significant experience in both reviewing and writing complex engineering reports.
* Have a deep knowledge of T, A and V Class submarine combat systems and equipment. (Highly desirable not essential)
* Have a sound knowledge of the maintenance planning process. (Highly desirable not essential)
* Have a sound knowledge of the submarine combat system design change management process. (Highly desirable not essential)
What else do I need to know?
* The successful candidate will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
All applications should be made online using PC, Laptop or Mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please click
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom.
Closing date: 24/09/2021