McCann UK is excited to be providing over 80 six-month internships across our network of UK offices as part of the Government's Kickstart scheme.
Why this internship will be brilliant.
- Important Please do not apply for this internship directly via this ad. To qualify for the Kickstart scheme you must be aged between 18-24 and claiming Universal Credit and must apply via your local Job Centre following a referral from your Work Coach - unfortunately, we cannot accept applications in any other way. Please take the details of this internship opportunity with you & they will be able to put you in touch with us through the official channels (quote McCann and postcode MK12 5FJ to your Work Coach).
McCann Birmingham is part of a global marketing business that produces culture-shaping advertising for some of the world's biggest brands.
We believe that creativity fuels optimism, prosperity and people, but it also has the power to challenge and change the norm
We've helped L'Oréal tell women they're "worth it", we've made a carrot called Kevin famous for Aldi and we've helped Snoop Dogg "get delivery like a G" for Just Eat.
We've also tackled domestic abuse via poetry for Refuge, and partnered with Google to help people with disabilities navigate city streets.
There's no one ideal route to getting a job in the industry. Just ask our Chief Creative Officer who started life as a chef, before getting into advertising via an internship. So, this internship could, genuinely, be the start of a truly exciting career journey.
What you'll do
As our Marketing Intern in the Business Leadership team (also known as Account Management) you can expect to be part of a busy team providing support across a large number of marketing and advertising projects for a range of well known brands.
Being a real team player, you'll be ready get involved with anything and everything. As well as supporting our Business Leaders, you'll work closely with the other teams in the agency (Creative, Planning and Project Management) to meet our clients' marketing needs.
Role & Responsibilities
- Support with core 'account management basics' including general admin, scheduling meetings, organisation, resource planning
- Support project teams on specific projects, for example undertaking desk research, competitor reviews, brand or campaign summaries
- Support in sourcing, creating and distributing content that is relevant to our client's business, e.g. trend reports, regular newsletters
- Proactively support and assist in project managing marketing campaigns
- Support in new business pitches
- Carry out any other ad hoc duties in order to support the smooth running of the Business Leadership department
You will proactively pursue self development opportunities within the department and across the Agency and assume joint responsibility with your Line Manager for regularly reviewing performance and personal development.
This role will be based both at home and in the office, to reflect our hybrid model of working. It is expected you will attend the office for approximately 50% of your working week.Requirements
- A keen interest in how brands market themselves and use creativity to influence brand perception
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people at all levels
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, multitask and meet deadlines
- The ability to work both cooperatively as a team and independently on own initiative
- Ability to maintain focus and work calmly under pressure
- Approachable and eager to learn, you'll be willing to take direction, be part of a team, and be a team player who works towards the common goal and purpose of our agency and client business.
We are partnering with Creative Access to provide employability support to all of our Kickstart interns.
Training with Creative Access will take place across three compulsory sessions an induction near the start of each placement, a check-in at the midpoint of each placement, and a transition session near the end of each placement. Kickstart interns will also have an assigned member of the People Team throughout the program that will regularly catch up them, as well as their assigned manager for the placement.
Creative Access will also invite interns to monthly masterclasses, encouraging them to keep in touch with other Kickstart new starters via buddy pairings, each of their induction cohorts and wider Kickstart placements.
In addition, our Kickstart cohort will go through our thorough onboarding process which includes meetings and an induction day where they get a full understanding of all departments and processes across the company.
Our L&D team will also support the Kickstart interns with a variety of workshops and training modules specific to supporting them in their placement.
As a company we also have a 24 hour EAP line that offer free counselling, and a premium account with Headspace that interns will have access to.Our commitment to equal opportunities
For us, diversity is a business imperative - one that must be embedded into every aspect of how we operate in order to drive success. Simply put, we believe an encouraging and inclusive environment makes sound business sense.
As a globally integrated community that influences and shapes culture, it's vital that the talent mix in our agencies encompass all dimensions of diversity, and that we demand the same of the people we work with.
Conscious inclusion encompasses social, cultural and cognitive differences and cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It is the integration of this philosophy that allows us to create meaningful experiences for our employees, drive better business practices with our vendors and clients, and ultimately lead with purpose.