Platform Product Manager
Salary: £50,702 - £56,336 per annum
Grade: UKRI F
Hours: Full Time
Contract Type: Open Ended
Closing Date: 26th September 2021The Organisation
Operating across the whole of the UK with a combined budget of more than 6 billion, UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation. UKRI will build on the successful elements from the current funding system and maximise the contribution of each of the component parts to create the best environment for research and innovation to thrive.Job Purpose
We are looking for an experienced platform product manager to lead and own our infrastructure platform products and lifecycles. This will cover on-premises, IaaS and PaaS offerings underpinning our operating environments. You will ensure our platform services continue to meet the needs of the business, working closely with other product managers to ensure that appropriate underpinning infrastructure is available across the platform landscape. You will collaborate with colleagues across UKRI, ensuring that Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) strategy roadmap is met. Responsibilities include:
- Creating and developing a platform roadmap covering existing on-premises and cloud (initially Azure, but likely to evolve) hosting and management infrastructure, ensuring that stable, resilient, and robust platforms are in place to underpin delivery of services and minimizing friction for the onboarding of new services
- Ensuring that platform services evolve in line with business requirements in a secure, sustainable, and cost-effective manner
- Looking for opportunities to automate & streamline processes to improve efficiency and agility
- Promoting the use of the technology in question across both internal teams and external partners
- Working with service management to transition new developments into service, either within the team or with delivery partners
- Maintaining a clear overview of technology developments and the market within your product area
- Acting as the primary liaison between business product stakeholders and delivery teams
- Managing the platform budget, maintaining transparency of ongoing costs, both current and flagging where developments drive additional operational costs
- Leading a team of technical specialists charged with a mix of service delivery and service development activities.
Experience required for this role:
- Technical knowledge of supporting and developing a diverse range of IT services, particularly in the areas of:
- Hosting technologies and methodologies - in house hosting, IaaS, PaaS (particularly Azure, AWS)
- Operating systems, applications, storage & compute
- Management of end user device estates
- Performance, capacity & availability management of environments
- Automation of deployment & scaling where possible and maintenance of associated tooling
- Overview of developments in technology areas outlined above
- Experience of developing and implementing technology roadmaps aligned to a wider strategy and delivering into service
- A track record of managing, mentoring and developing IT delivery teams and staff
- Experience of stakeholder management covering DDaT colleagues, interested parties within the business, vendors, and external delivery partners, ensuring business alignment and value for money.
For more details on the skills listed above, please visit the full job description on our website.What We Offer
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits including a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme.How to Apply
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to see more details and to apply please visit our job board. Please include a covering letter outlining how you fit the role criteria. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0).
The closing date for applications is 26th September 2021.