Corporate Finance provides key assurance for the Council and stewardship of public monies helping to ensure proper financial administration. This role is to provide responsive, accurate financial administration within the Chief Accountants Team, ensuring that the data held on core accounting systems is correct and maintained in a timely manner.
The postholder will be based in the Income and Banking team and key duties include key reconciliations and the maintenance of core financial systems.
For more information about Finance at West Sussex, please visited our Finance page
and learn more!About The JobSalary:
£19,312- £19,698 Working Pattern:
Full-time (37 hours per week)Contract Length:
Here at West Sussex County Council, what we do changes lives.
We are looking for an experienced and driven Finance Assistant to provide specialist administrative support to the team. You will work independently to manage specialist admin functions, for example, processing budget transfers or preparing data for statistical returns.
You will be responsible for the accurate and timely processing of payments and carrying out any other accounting procedures as required. You make every effort to prioritise business and departmental objectives, thereby protecting the Company's financial interests and maximising profitability.
You will have experience working in a customer focussed role, with relevant financial management experience and the ability to explain basic financial or performance management information.Experience and SkillsKey Skills:
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Good numeracy skills in order to make sound and accurate calculations, monitor records and do other similar tasks working with an understanding of finance.
- Accurate and efficient typing and written communication skills for data inputting, processing standard letters and responding to emails appropriately.
- Good IT skills including Word and Excel in order to create and maintain spreadsheets, word process and work within specialist computer systems without supervision to perform daily tasks. Including the ability to pick up new systems well.
- Good verbal communication skills for answering telephone queries effectively and communicating with clients, managers and team members. Including the ability to provide clear and concise advice, guidance and information related to the service appropriately and accurately. Additionally, the ability to give advice/information in ways which promote understanding and move forward or persuade people of objectives.
- Ability to embrace change and adapt to changing situations and new ways of working positively and effectively. Including the ability to learn new processes and ways of working.
- The ability to prioritise daily workload to meet timescales and objectives. Including the ability to work independently to operate a specialist function or duty according to procedures and timescales eg administrating a scheme or process.
- Some awareness and technical skills in the use of major computerised financial systems for invoicing or performance management (Such as SAP Finance, PERFORM or other major computerised financial systems). Desirable
Rewards and Benefits
- 4 GCSEs with A-C passes including Maths and English or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of numeracy and literacy.
- Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) part qualified at Foundation level NVQ 2 or equivalent experience working in a performance management environment or studying towards an equivalent qualification or an interest in progressing with a similar qualification. Desirable
As an employer we recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive and dynamic working environment where employees can achieve their full potential, achieve a healthy work-life balance and are rewarded for the work they do.
In addition to working within a great team and a competitive salary you will have access to the following benefits:
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays with the ability to buy additional leave annually
- Generous Pension Scheme
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits
The reference number for this role is CRS00479
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please contact Sean Whalen (Principal Finance Officer) at . For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV. Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again. If you are unable to see the attached job description, please contact the Recruitment team at the above email address.