* Manual, batch chemical cleaning of various component piece parts required for photomultiplier tube production, i.e. metals, metal alloys, glass and ceramic.
* Production of metal vapour dispensers.
* Solder capping of plastic bases onto photomultiplier tubes with flexible metal wires.
* QA / Inspection of piece parts.
* Testing and recording quality of demineralised water.
* Inspection and calibration of equipment.
* Assisting experienced colleagues.
* General stock-taking and house-keeping operations.
Work is in a hazardous area where operators are handling harmful chemicals such as strong acids, alkalis and flammable solvents usually at elevated temperatures in addition to fine particulate powders on a daily basis.
* General laboratory or relevant technical experience.
* Demonstration of having studied a practical science.
* Appreciation of laboratory H&S, COSHH and GLP (good laboratory practice).
* Experience in using laboratory equipment, i.e. fine weighing balances, hot-plates, drying ovens, ultrasonic baths etc