Job Description: Science Technician
Purpose: To deliver a first class technical support system to science teaching staff. Assisting the teaching staff in the preparation of materials and equipment for use in the teaching of science subjects across Key Stages 3-5 as appropriate.Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To be committed to and to promote the school's vision, aims, objectives and values;
- To prepare the classroom for all practical lessons, taking responsibility for ensuring that the correct equipment is available and researching different experiments
- To ensure that statutory safety regulations and safe practice are complied with in all aspects of their work, and to be proactive in monitoring and ensuring compliance.
- To prepare and review risk assessments for activities within the science department to ensure that the risks to pupils and other staff are minimised
- To maintain utensils, equipment and consumables in good and safe condition, carrying our periodical checks as appropriate.
- To build and repair simple equipment where possible, and generally to maintain or manage the maintenance of equipment in general, including some high cost equipment, including the arrangement for repairs to be carried out by school caretakers or third parties. This would include liaising with the premises department to arrange for alterations or repairs to be carried out in the science area.
- Cleaning of glassware and other equipment.
- Preparing chemical solutions accurately and safely.
- Ensuring appropriate storage of equipment, samples and chemicals, including radioactive and otherwise hazardous materials, and arranging for safe and legal disposal where appropriate.
- Routine care of plants (and animals, where necessary).
- Collection of equipment and materials from storage and their organisation for class use.
- Delivery of apparatus, equipment and materials to laboratories, retrieving after use and returning to store and disposing of non-hazardous waste as directed.
- Checking materials and equipment, before and after class use, for quality and damage.
- Maintenance of stock control systems.
- Responsibility for researching, sourcing of supplies and placing equipment orders and for liaising with the finance department in respect of these.
- To maintain day-to-day orderliness of rooms and equipment with particular care to hygiene, health and safety.
- To prepare material for science lessons and examinations using appropriate equipment (e.g. photocopiers).
- Mounting displays, visual aids and students' work. Keeping the display boards attractive and up to date.
- To record/download programmes for use in the Science laboratories, and otherwise support the development of resources.
- To prepare demonstrations when required and to assist the subject teacher in the practical lessons.
- To try out basic practical activities and report results
- To supervise students occasionally when the teacher has to leave the room.
- To help organise lessons if teachers are absent.
- To use flexible time responsibly and to be punctual and maintain a high level of attendance.
- To seek actively opportunities for professional development and attend and undergo suitable training.
All staff are required to participate in training and other learning activities and in performance management and development, as required by the school's policies and practices.
To comply with any reasonable requests from a leader/manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in the job description.
The job description is current at the date shown, but in consultation with you, may be changed by the Headteacher to meet changing regulations or circumstances. These would be commensurate with the grade and title of the post.