About the role
The post holder is a member of one of the category teams within Procurement responsible for ensuring that tenders, contracts comply with the Brigade's Scheme of Governance, policies, guidelines, and relevant procurement legislation, and achieve best value.
This role encompasses all senior commercial activities servicing and providing procurement advice to internal clients, engaging with suppliers on key contracts and providing support to the Head of Category (Procurement).Key Responsibilities
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- To provide advice to client departments and consultants working for the Brigade on the Brigade's commercial procedures, the interpretation of the Brigade's Scheme of Governance, guidelines, and relevant procurement legislation.
- To undertake, manage and act as the procurement lead on minor and routine procurement projects and tendering exercises as and when required on behalf of the Brigade.
- To assist junior members of staff with the management of the e-purchase order management process, which includes dealing with individual order queries as well as liaison with new suppliers to the process and providing support and advice concerning any issues arising.
- To manage and monitor assigned major contracts to ensure services are delivered consistently within the terms of the contract. Where there is non-compliance, ensure an appropriate remedial action is initiated including the application of abatements etc. where appropriate. Ensure contractors comply with relevant legislation and the Brigade's Scheme of Governance.
- Assist the Head of Category and Head of Commercial in the setting, monitoring and management annual expenditure budgets, including savings and efficiencies for both the contracts under your management and the Procurement department overheads.
- Experience of drafting commercial/tender documents for a range of goods and services.
- Experience of contract management including the preparation, monitoring and control of revenue and capital budgets.
- Possession of or participation in a course of study leading towards a minimum of Level 5 membership of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies (MCIPS).
- Excellent inter-personal skills in order to develop and maintain good working relationships with staff at all levels and with representatives of external organisation.
- Good organisational skills to identify and address changing and conflicting priorities whilst meeting deadlines, the ability to act on own initiative in a diversity of situations and the ability to work flexibly as part of a small team
- An awareness of the importance of having a commercial approach to the purchasing function within a large public organisation together with an understanding of the principles of 'best value'. A commitment to quality and to a progressive partnership approach to the management of major contracts to support the work of the London Fire Brigade.
- An understanding of the role of customer care issues and the provision of quality services in a client orientated multi-disciplinary services.