We are looking for an experienced Manager from a Financial Services background as a solid team player who is customer and delivery focused. The role is exciting and varied providing a chance to build, redesign and enhance an area of the business that is presently offering opportunity for innovation.
The Operational Risk function lies within the Operations team, working to identify and limit any business risk associated with SECCL operations.
The role entails working with a variety of data, helping design automated solutions, working closely with the Customer & Product teams to create a market leading solution.
In a nutshell, the role is:
Part of the wider Operations Team, working closely with many other areas of the business.
A technical role, requiring an understanding of the Seccl structure, systems and Risk framework.
The primary hire into the Operational Risk area, meaning a lot of early responsibility and development opportunities.
Working to identify and limit any risks associated with SECCL operations. Responsibilities involve assessing business operations, identifying issues, and creating reports of any findings as well as assessing the controls that SECCL have implemented, to determine whether or not they are effective.
This will require analytical, logical ability to embed risk control assessments within the organization, the monitoring of risk policies and tools in order to determine their effectiveness and development of risk management practices that are in line with the policies of both the firm and the UK financial regulatory framework. Measure Monitor and Control.
To include advise to senior management on any operational risks encountered and the suggested course of action to address those risks. Defining risk appetite statements, training and motivating staff at all levels to adopt new risk management practices. Utilising strong diagnostic, managerial, and negotiation skills with a desire to improve processes and reduce risk. At Seccl, we're in our 'scale-up' phase, which means things are moving really fast and challenges can arise at any time and in any form. In order to absorb this growth we will expect the successful candidate to; You'll be someone who is:
- A team player who uses initiative and is able to problem solve and prioritise
- Fluid communicator across all levels of hierarchical importance. Ensure that risk policies are implemented effectively and with complete understanding by the staff. Strong persuasive communication skills may come into play, too. Develop Cross-functional communication methods and collaborate with all other departments.
- Apply great oral and written communication skills and Independent thinking.
- Interact and build effective working relationships with peers, stakeholders and all levels of management.
- A role model in inspiring confidence, motivating others and adopting a professional approach at all times to all Customers, Advisers and other members of the Operations Team
- Strong attention to detail and a drive to succeed.
- Can work well under pressure and provides flexiblity
- Able to make a positive contribution to Customer, Team and the Company.a
- Have strong business acumen and ability to apply practical thinking in solving business problems.
- Be able to leverage on data and statistical tools to draw valid conclusions and solve business problems.
It would be nice to have...
- Work without supervision, to identify risks and controls pertaining to business processes.
- Previous experience in Financial Services, preferably - Global Custody, Investment Management or Funds/Equity administration or Stockbroking.
- A good understanding of investment products and order flow as well as associated CASS & COBS rules.
- Strong reconciliation background with a detailed understanding of Risk frameworks and intergration.
What will you be doing?
- A real interest in technology and how it can disrupt markets and improve outcomes for customers.
- Degree or equivalent or relevant experience in a similar role.
- CISI Advanced Certificate in Operational Risk or equivalent.
- Effective embedding of the Operational Risk Framework and the ownership of Risks and Controls into the 1st line.
- Support the communication and delivery of risk appetite statements, policies & processes across the business
- Assist with trend identification & analysis
- Work closely with product teams to support the assessment of risks and project delivery
- Facilitate & participate in risk training workshops
- Provide subject matter expert (SME) advice to the business relating to Operational Risk
- Identify operational risk trends associated with the Custody & Trading processes whilst developing risk mitigation strategies for continuous improvement.
- Oversee the development and implementation of action plans to remediate key risks to all Operational processes and support completion of risk/control self-assesment.
- Implement strategic plan to prevent, eliminate and mitigate operational risks.
- Oversee the Operational risk incident management process to guarantee that timeliness, integrity, and quality control are maintained.
- Coordinate with senior management in performing operational risk reviews.
- Track and monitor operating risk issues for SECCL teams and Third Parties/Outsourced Providers of critival services.
- Gathering information, implementing and reporting of a Key Risk Indicator (KRI) and Key Performance Indicators (KPI) framework for SECCL teams including controls.
- Assist teams with the design, development and analysis of any program components prior to deployment.
- Report operational risk issues and decisions to senior management, and other governance commitees including Riskco, Opco & CASSco on regular basis.
- Assist in identifying and evaluating risk areas across the operational activities.
- Investigate root causes of operational risks and provide support to mitigate risk.
- Maintain documentation for risk management and risk policies and procedures.
- Supporting the completion of SECCL team-specific risk/control self-assessments (RCSA), annual assessment reviews and attestations and scenario analysis exercises, as well as analysing the root causes of operational exceptions whilst assisting in the development and completion of risk mitigation strategies.
Culture & benefits
- Keep abreast of latest operational risk management techniques and industry best practices and regulatory change, guidance and expectations.
We truly value diversity in our workforce, and we're actively working becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation. We write quite a lot about what it's like to work here at Seccl - genuine flexibility, an inclusive and friendly team, a beautiful Bath office, great perks and benefits... we could go on.
But you don't have to take our word for it. We were recently voted one of the top 100 places to work in the UK by Escape the City.
If you need further persuading, our current eNPS score of 59 shows that 78% of people who work at Seccl selected 9/10 or 10/10 on how likely they would be to recommend us as a place to work.
Some of this is down to our generous benefits, that include...
· All the usual stuff - 27 days' holiday (plus bank holidays and religious holidays), cycle to work scheme, an extra day off for your birthday, and pension and life assurance policies
· Genuinely flexible working. Come into the office as much or as little as you choose
· Truly inclusive culture where diversity is a top-level objective
· Heavy focus on mental health and wellbeing. Take the time off you need, and make use of our mental health breakout room in the office, as well as free access to therapists and a Headspace subscription
· Strong commitment to continuous learning. We encourage everyone to spend 10% of their time learning new things, and provide free access to over 10,000 online learning courses via Udemy, which you can use for anything you want (whether professionally useful or not)
·Generous freebies and discounts through Perkbox (which includes Perkbox Medical, giving access to GP appointments), and a subscription to Rakuten for free movie downloads,
· A genuine commitment to delegated team ownership, a flat structure and massive quest for openness and transparency in how we work and share from the Board all the way down
·Beautiful office in the centre of the stunning city of Bath. A stone's throw (literally!) from the train and bus station
We're also part of the Octopus Group - an innovative, £10bn+ group of companies including Octopus Energy, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Investments. Octopus are on a mission to breathe new life into energy and financial services, and improve the lives of millions of people, so it's great to be under their umbrella.
If you're thinking of joining us or want to find out more about our work culture, you can also check out our Instagram, LinkedIn and Glassdoor pages. COVID-19
Our recruitment process has moved to 'virtual hiring' only - and we don't see this changing anytime soon. This will include video interviews and virtual onboarding... stuff that we've all become pretty used to over the past eighteen months. Like what you see?
Just send your CV to People@seccl.tech and one of our People Team will be in touch.