King's College Hospital
King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK's largest and busiest teaching hospitals with a turnover of c£1 billion, 1.5 million patient contacts a year and more than 11,500 staff based across 5 main sites in South East London. The Trust provides a full range of local hospital services across its different sites, and specialist services from King's College Hospital (KCH) sites at Denmark Hill in Camberwell and at the Princess Royal University Hospital (PRUH) site in Bromley.
The Financial Management Transaction Officer role is responsible for processing financial information on the general ledger, the analysis of general ledger transactions and support to the Business Support Analysts.
The role will include meeting budget holders to support the Finance Business Partners and Senior Support Analysts in the budgeting, forecasting and business planning process.
In providing specialist financial expertise and leadership to the business there is an almost constant requirement for the post holder to exercise intense concentration and sustained mental effort in order to analyse, understand, retain and convey information. There is a frequent need for the post holder to prioritise and re-prioritise workloads according to the demands of stakeholders and to meet financial deadlines.
Main Duties - Leadership
• Be a role model in how to provide a customer focussed, high quality service to managers, directors, clinicians and finance business partners
• Work with colleagues in Contracting, Income, Costing and information/performance management to ensure the Trust has coherent integrated information, analysis and plans.
• Develop and maintain an understanding of the Trust's accounting processes and procedures and financial systems.
• Support the implementation of actions in response to recommendations from Internal Audit for the enhancement of internal controls and procedures in own areas of responsibility.
• Develop a comprehensive knowledge of national accounting standards and a good understanding of financial and other NHS legislation, NHS finance policies and initiatives relating to the NHS financial regime.
• Provide robust, accurate and timely core financial data to meet internal and external month end/ year end deadlines.
•Ensure strong relationships and regular communications with all Trust finance managers to ensure they are informed of any data quality issues relating to the financial position of the Trust, new national guidance and policy issues, etc and to provide them with clear guidance as appropriate
Main Duties - Financial Transactions
• Within the standard operating procedures and Trust's Standing Financial Instructions assist the FM Transaction Manager in the monthly monitoring of the general ledger to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the data prior to distribution to the FM Transaction Manager.
• Review financial transactions to ensure that they have been correctly processed and recorded to meet audit requirements.
• Upload budget journals including SLR budget journals and WTE budgets.
• Monthly reconciliation of budget movements, forecast movements and balance sheet.
• Monthly reconciliation of the payroll files with ESR and liaising with the ESR team and Business support Officers to ensure that errors are corrected at source.
• Process payroll recoding, accrual, prepayment, recharge and amendment journals accurately and in a timely manner and that the suitable supporting documentation is maintained.
• Raising invoices as requested ensuring these are accurately coded.
• Liaising with the Finance Business Partners support the Trust's recruitment control process and prepare A to E forms as informed by the Business Support Analysts.
• Provide monthly reports to HR, Finance Business Partners, Senior Finance Managers and FM Transaction Manager to support the month end and year end processes.
• Covers other Financial Management Transaction Officer roles when required.
• Minimum 6 month NHS experience
• Experience within management accounts
• NVQ Level 4 or Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) at Technician level or CCAB Foundation stage or equivalent experience relevant to the role.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and maintain a high standard of work
• Experience of Microsoft Office
• Ability to work as part of a team and maintain good working relationships with large and diverse staff group
• Salary - £16-17.78 per hour
• Flexible working: 3 days office, 2 at home