As a Senior Software Engineer (Ruby) at Board Intelligence, you'll be working on a daily basis with product managers and other developers to define new requirements and deliver major product improvements.
While you welcome the technical freedom of greenfield developments you also enjoy the intricacies inherent in evolving existing software. You're capable of appreciating the subtle impacts of different tech choices but, ultimately, you are a pragmatic. You favour readability of code, instinctively rejecting excessive conciseness or artistry. As an expert developer you support other developers in their task delivery and personal development; you support the culture and ongoing development of the wider team.
We are a nimble, high growth business and our Engineering team is in growth mode; part of this role is contributing to the shape of how we automate quality into everything we do.Engineering at Board Intelligence
Everyone says it, but in our case it's true each member of our engineering team is amazing in their own right, but together they are what brings our product to life.
We're very proud of the team we've built - there's 20 now but we have ambitious plans to grow in 2021/22 so that we can further improve our product and continue to enable boards to 'see what matters'. You'll be part of helping us achieve this.RequirementsWe're looking for a great engineer to help drive our product forwards with best practice implementations and designs. For us, a Senior Software Engineer is someone who
What Experience And Skills Might You Have
- Translating business requirements into technical designs, working with business leaders to understand implications and options.
- Making technical architecture decisions with support from architects and other senior engineers.
- Conducting code reviews and helping mentor developers.
- Documenting and sharing best practices.
- Being hands on, developing solutions to improve the performance and scalability of systems.
- Possibly planing and delivering complex projects, using other resources as required.
- Owning your code once released and finding and fixing bugs
- Contributing to project planning and design including providing accurate development estimates
- Planning and implementing unit and integration tests
- Identifying opportunities for the team to improve
- Researching new technologies and patterns
- Is self-driven and constantly striving to improve everything.
- Demonstrates and promotes positive attitudes and behaviours, such as collaboration, learning, sharing, respect and motivation.
- Can manage and prioritise multiple projects and tasks.
- Has strong communication skills with the ability to work across a range of varied stakeholders.
We care more about attitude and aptitude over a shopping list of qualifications and experience; many of our engineers have joined with the right attitude and transferable skills and developed their skills and career with us. However, some experience and skills that would help you in this role include
- 5+ years commercial development experience.
- Fluent in Ruby and possibly in several other languages and programming styles.
- Expert in the core technologies used by the team (Ruby, Rails, React, Postgres).
- Deep understanding of microservice architectures including exposure to different message passing
- paradigms (synchronous over HTTP, gRPC, Event-Sourced).
- Deep understanding of databases and data models.
- Understand the benefits of working test first and have experience of TDD and RSpec.
- Expert understanding of software development security.
- Appreciation of architecture decisions and trade offs.
- Also useful would be knowledge of Clojure, Kafka, and Kubernetes
- Good understanding of emerging technologies and potential implications for our products.
- Client ready communicator, confident public speaker.
- Extremely reliable delivery.
Our apps are written in Ruby (with Rails). Client-side web apps are written in React, and some services in Clojure and Java. The platform is built into 3 datacentres and runs on Kubernetes. We have aspirations to start leveraging other languages and public cloud hosting environments. You do not need experience with all of that.Benefits
We pride ourselves on our great working environment and package. Here's some of what's on offer
- Flexibility to work from home (there will be a requirement to attend our London office for Team days)
- Competitive salary & pension scheme
- Personal performance bonus
- Company performance bonus share
- 26 days holiday each calendar year
- Bupa health & dental cover
- Group life insurance
- EAP; AIG Smart Health and Bereavement Counselling & Probate Helpline
- Daily breakfast, drinks, fruit and snacks
- Regular training & development, mini MBA series, lunch & learns
- Travel card loan & cycle to work scheme
- Monthly company socials, Friday drinks
- Gym membership discounts