We are looking for an experienced marketeer to join us as our subscription marketing manager to turbocharge our reach; further build out our online presence; and grow and nurture our nascent membership base. As well as having a strong background in digital marketing and in startups, you'll also have experience of membership or subscription models in a media or content related business. Who we are
Sifted is a new media platform reporting on the world of technology and startups in Europe, backed by the Financial Times. In less than two years we've become known for our high-quality journalism and fresh viewpoints - and must-read for many founders, investors and people working in startups across the continent.
Our team of reporters, based across Europe, aren't chasing after the latest funding announcements or product releases; plenty of other sites have got that covered. We are telling the stories that should be told - big startup trends, compelling company profiles and the everyday lessons that come from growing a business and messing up along the way.
We have grown from a standing start to 600k monthly unique visitors, over 80k newsletter subscribers and a lively social media following, but there is much more to be done to both grow and consolidate our readership. In particular we want to build stronger relationships with our most dedicated readers while also diversifying our revenue streams away from our current advertising and sponsorship model.What will you be doing?
You will be a key member of the team working directly with the digital marketing manager. You will initially assist with implementing our plans for digital marketing, social media marketing, SEO and partnership channels, to grow our reach, build our brand, promote our fantastic content (both commercial and editorial) and to develop the Sifted membership model. You will also be working closely with both the broader commercial team, and the editorial team.The role will include:
- Contributing to the development and execution of the overall marketing plan
- Help develop and deliver coherent SEO, email, digital and social media strategies, plans and campaigns within this to grow Sifted's reach and engagement
- Optimise the online user journey to promote high levels of reader engagement, make our readers passionate supporters and advocates, and put them on the journey to membership/subscription
- Develop mutually beneficial marketing and promotional partnerships (including working with the FT)
- Manage specialist partners and agencies as needed to fill gaps in our resources and experience
- Create and monitor metrics to ensure that we are always heading in the right direction
- Communicate and present ideas and updates to the team
As Sifted is still a young business, you will have significant say in all aspects of developing and executing our marketing and growth function, including defining the tools that we use, and the processes that we implement.About youRequirements
Nice to have
- A strong background in digital marketing and in particular SEO, social media marketing and email marketing within a relevant industry.
- Experience of membership and subscription models in media or a content related space and of driving user activation and engagement
- Expert in both paid and unpaid use of social media platforms (including esp Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn) and other 'earned' media
- Track record of creating compelling campaigns for varied target audiences
- Excellent knowledge of digital media analytics of all sorts
- Ability to think both creatively and commercially
- Happy to work in a high growth startup environment
- Enthusiastic, self-confident and self-motivated with the ability to use initiative and be proactive
What are we like to work for?
- Be passionate about making the European startup world a better place
- Highly analytical and can monitor, analyse and iterate on programs across the funnel
- An eye for great UX, UI and design as well as marketing
We have a small-company mindset, but big company goals, and can draw on many of the strengths and benefits of a world-respected brand, the Financial Times. We're friendly, hardworking and passionate about what we do. We have a flat structure, collaborate across disciplines, and everyone has impact across many areas of the business. We value feedback, honesty and clear communication. What we offer:
- £30k - £40k salary depending on experience (plus an extra 10% of your salary in share options)
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- A flexible work environment, 2 or 3 days in the office per week with the rest from wherever you like
- £1,000 per year annual learning budget for you to spend on up-skilling yoursely
- Weekly team lunches (virtual for now) and seemingly endless snacks (when in the office)
- Regular team socials... post-lockdown (eg. pub quizzes, dinners, theatre trips)
- The chance to have an impact across many areas of the business, and to build and be part of a large team over time
London (although we are open to semi-remote applicants - ie. people who could travel in two or three days per week)