The Location: Edinburgh, Dundee, Part or Fully remoteThe organisation:
Our client is a world leading financial technology company. With operations spanning 10 countries across 4 continents, c. 2,000 employees and annual revenues over $1 billion, they aim to be the trusted platform in the communities they serve.
Their financial services customer base includes over 2,000 financial services organisations, including 9 out of 10 of the largest banks in the United States. They partner with 8 out of the top 10 US retailers and support 60+ million users.The Business/Division/Function:
The global software development team is a critical element of their competitive advantage, rapidly developing and deploying core and customised financial systems relied upon by their client base.
The global team consists over 200 employees operating out of Scotland, the United States and India. It includes teams across agile product development, professional services and customer driven development, product support via centers of excellence, quality assurance, enterprise architecture and the DevOps & development management office.
The team has a strong innovation, collaboration and teamworking culture, combined with a focus on performance that puts delivering excellence for the customer at the core of all activity. In mid-2020, the Global Software Development teams, which were previously operated as a number of separate teams, were brought together under a single leadership structure. As part of this consolidation, a number of areas have been identified for strategic investment.
Purpose: Why does this job exist?
This is a new role, created to provide technical architecture, leadership and line management for two Agile software development teams working on the development of our next generation enterprise platform. The teams are responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting new and existing product offerings from so that they meet expected business/technical requirements, quality standards and delivery timeframes.
The team are utilizing the latest .NET 5 stack (based on .NET Core) with modern UI development using Blazor (part of .NET 5) to build responsive web applications that can scale to mobile, tablet, and desktop.
They are using the latest Entity Framework Core for working with relational databases (MS SQL Server in particular) and utilizing NoSQL Databases (HBase in particular). In addition to modern development tools and techniques (Visual Studio 2019, Test Driven Development, Behavior Driven Development, continuous Integration, etc, the design ensures that deployment can be either on premise or in the cloud and integrates with certain Azure cloud services
Accountabilities: What are the key deliverables?
• High quality, high performance, secure, object-orientated, and testable source code where technical debt is kept to a minimum
• A culture of best practice and continuous improvement, coaching the team to drive improvements in tooling and process to make themselves more efficient
• Product/Solution architecture evolution to better support business and technical requirements (partnering with the product owners)
• Personal, professional and technical development of the software and QA engineers within management scope.
Activities: What does the jobholder have to do?
Activities include the following:
· Perform line-management functions for all direct reports including, but not limited to, managing career development, planned/unplanned absence management, performance management, annual review appraisals & associated merit increases, and the recruitment of new individuals when resources are approved
· Drive a couple of cross-functional multi-regional development teams by using Agile software development methodologies (e.g. Scrum) and the Scaled Agile Framework (e.g. SAFe) in order to design and deliver software to fulfil business requirements in a timely and predictable manner
· Assist in the definition of new Features that will be taken into the Program Increment Planning for the teams to t-shirt size and break down into Stories as part of the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
· Work with the Product Owners and Architects to evaluate and help evolve the Product/Solution architecture in order to better support business and technical requirements
· Provide oversight for the development teams and help them to grow and evolve the detailed technical architecture of the product in an iterative yet efficient manner
· Be a leader in all aspects of the SDLC and promote / facilitate a culture of best practice and continuous improvement, coaching the team to drive improvements in tooling and process to make themselves more efficient
· Take ultimate accountability for driving the team forward with the development of high quality, high performance, secure, object-orientated, and testable source code where technical debt is kept to a minimum and empower the team to achieve this
· Drive the team to ensure a test strategy is in place that ensures defects are found prior to release
· Work with a technical author and the teams to ensure product documentation is kept up to date as development progresses
· Work with operations teams such as GNS, Application Support, and DBAs to streamline the deployment of new versions of an application into production and ensure that all relevant handovers and documentation are complete to reduce the chance of 3rd-level support issues being raised
· Become Subject Matter Expert in the product and provide support to other teams, including coordination of 3rd Level Support for released software if an incident occurs
· Perform change management where the impact of code changes is understood and where appropriate, coach the team to actively identify and refactor existing code to improve maintainability, extensibility, and correctness
· Be a positive influence on team members and encourage a healthy and open development ethos
· Keep abreast of key industry trends, methodologies, strategies and skills
· Mentor, coach, and train Software Engineers and QA Engineers of varying skill levels in all facets of the SDLC including Agile development methodologies, story definition, grooming, and sizing, secure software development best practices, and where appropriate delegate work to those team members to continue to expand their knowledge and experience whilst maintaining a well-balanced workload across the team
History: How has the vacancy arisen? What expectations has the previous/current jobholder(s) created? What have been the key successes and failures?
This is a new role. It represents a commitment to, and focus on, enhancing software development leadership capability to better support ambitious business and technical goals.
Culture: What are the values and 'norms' surrounding the job?
· Cross functional collaboration is an essential element of this role.
· Team working, consultation, respect and co-operation are key.
· Embodying the culture and values,
demonstrating professional acumen, integrity, discretion, credibility and trustworthiness
Future: Where might the jobholder move to?
· Broader technology leadership roles worldwide
Extensive demonstrable experience of:
• Line management of geographically distributed teams
• Leading an Agile team using Scrum / Kanban / XP methodologies
• Designing the technical architecture for modular enterprise-level applications
• Strong technical enterprise application development skills including some of:
- Deep understanding of Object-Oriented design techniques and other common software design patterns
- C# / ASP.NET (Core)
- Modern "front end" development (e.g. Angular, React, ES6, Blazor, etc)
- Experience of coding to RDMS systems (e.g. MS SQL Server) by utilizing technologies such as Entity Framework Core and optimizing the database structures and queries used to improve system performance
- Defining, developing, and working with SOAP / RESTful / GraphQL web services
- Developing distributed, high availability, and highly performant enterprise software that can handle large numbers of concurrent requests
Desired demonstrable experience of:
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- DevOps & Continuous Deployment
- Cloud Platforms such as AWS/Azure
- NoSQL & Data processing platforms such as MongoDB, Hadoop, and Apache Spark
- Container orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Building Microservices and Micro-frontend Architecture
Our client provides a challenging and collegiate working environment, driven by values led leadership. A customer centric culture empowers our employees to stretch their abilities and challenges their talents in an environment that supports personal and career development.
Our performance culture ensures that employees are clear on objectives, are supported to enable them to perform and have their achievements recognised and rewarded.