is currently recruiting for a Senior Data Scientist
to join our team on a permanent
basis. This role will require flexibility to travel to client sites, and is preferable to be based in Sheffield
but can be based in Bristol
or London.Methods Analytics
Methods Analytics exists to improve society by helping people make better decisions with data. Combining passionate people, sector-specific insight and technical excellence to provide our customers an end-to-end data service. We use a collaborative, creative and user centric approach data to do good and solve difficult problems. And ensure that our outputs are transparent, robust and transformative.
We value discussion and debate as part of our approach. We will question assumptions, ambition and process - but do so with respect and humility. We relish difficult problems, and overcome them with innovation, creativity and technical freedom to help us design optimum solutions. Ethics, privacy and quality are at the heart of our work and we will not sacrifice these for outcomes. We treat data with respect and use it only for the right purpose. Our people are positive, dedicated and relentless. Data is a vast topic, but we strive for interactions that are engaging, informative and fun in equal measure. But maintain a steely focus on outcomes and delivering quality products for our customers.Requirements
The Senior Data Scientist
will be expected to work as part of the Methods Analytics Delivery team. They will be the technical lead of projects for external stakeholders or internal company assignments.
The ideal candidate
will have considerable experience in developing best practice when creating models using structured and unstructured data sets. In addition to broad data skills and deep understanding of the scientific models used, they should also have a track record of impacting the business with successful data science projects.
In close coordination with stakeholders, they are responsible for leading a potentially cross-functional team in providing the best solution to a given problem. The Senior Data Scientist role will provide strategic direction for our clients on both active and future projects.
The role will be based in Sheffield, Bristol or London
and will include some work on client sites. Although the Data Scientist will have a portfolio of responsibilities specific to their area of expertise and grade, it is expected that they will develop a set of skills, competencies and knowledge to operate effectively within their role.
The Senior Data Scientist will
Essential Skills And Experience
- Enable and support an environment that promotes and applies data science with a focus on impact and value both internally and for clients
- Set standards that produce high quality, efficient code for both data preparation and analysis. Collaborating with data scientists to refine the approach
- Lead and contribute to development of pipelines, models and tools to solve unanswered, untested and complex data challenges.
- Command trust in their ability to deliver the best analytical approaches across all levels of the organisation and clients
- Deliver impactful business results through the development and delivery of data science principles
- Assist a team of data scientists, including personal and business development
- Assist with the development of the company knowledge base and provide feedback on new knowledge artefacts
- Confidently present complex analytical results in a clear and simple manner to key stakeholders and clients (including technical and non-technical audience)
- Keep up-to-date with latest technology trends, developing the business's data science function as a result
- Represent the company and its interests as required at local and national events. Attend, present or support conferences and seminars
- Help facilitate knowledge sharing across the data science and the wider team
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or similar field, preferably with a PhD, and experience within a fast-paced and complex business setting, working as a Data Scientist.
- Experience in Geospatial data science to create code and run pipelines that produce analytical products and cartographic representations
- Proven application of advanced analytical and statistical methods in the real world
- Demonstrable senior-level leadership in engaging with stakeholders, technical clients and people management
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience with a range of statistical methods including time series analysis and forecasting, and supervised and unsupervised learning
- The ability to assess a range of relevant techniques for a given use-case in terms of strengths and limitations, and thereafter to decide upon an appropriate evidence-based approach and the ability to communicate and justify that approach to relevant stakeholders
- Highly proficient in writing code in Python 3, including extensive applied experience of using common data science libraries in Python including NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, SciPy, Matplotlib and Plotly.
- Real world project experience with PySpark
- Clear understanding of the implications of deploying models at scale both within cloud and local environments
- Experience with manual and automatic testing
- Experience with shell scripting language and command line
- Experience with SQL, NoSQL and/or graph databases
- Ability to visualise data in a meaningful way to draw insight informing business problems
- Understanding of data governance principles, including security, privacy and risk control metrics.
- Experience with version control tools (e.g. Git) and best practices
- Clear application of data ethics principles throughout product delivery
BenefitsMethods Analytics is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.By joining us you can expect
- Experience of working in a consultancy
- Knowledge or and experience in SDLC
- Experience of working with neural networks, deep learning and/or NLP
- Experience of big data technologies, cloud storage and analytics engines
- Experience of the health, defence or life-sciences sectors
- Experience with reinforcement and deep learning
- Experience with big data technologies like Spark and Hadoop
- Experience of designing and developing data science models to operate in real-time or near real-time
- Experience of distributed frameworks for data science and machine learning, including Apache Spark, TensorFlow and/or Keras
- Experience of working in genuine collaboration with data engineers and platform engineers to diagnose performance issues with data science models in production-grade environments
- Experience of writing code in other relevant programming languages including R, Scala and/or Go
As well as this, we offerDevelopment
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and trainingWellness
24/7 Confidential employee assistance programmeSocial -
office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causesTime off
25 days a yearPension
Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contributionDiscretionary Company Bonus
based on company and individual performanceLife Assurance
of 4 times base salaryPrivate Medical Insurance
which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)Worldwide Travel Insurance
which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)