Head of Data
£68,000 - £70,000
Currently remote working - Hybrid working practice anticipated with occasional travel to Head Office, Farringdon, London
The production of robust, insightful data is pivotal to enable us to deliver our mission and increase our impact. This new role has been created to provide leadership, synthesis, and innovation to our use of data, pulling together a new team from across the organisation to create fresh insight.
We are looking for a skilled Head of Data who is ambitious for developing and leading the company's data strategy. The Head of Data will lead our approach in capturing the right intelligence to enable national improvements in careers education, refining the approaches that have we have developed in collecting information and data from a wide range of sources and ensuring that we produce clear, timely and accurate data.
The main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Iteratively developing a data strategy for the organisation, creating a vision for the use of data that engages colleagues and partners.
• Shaping an expanded a central data focused team across the organisation and leading their delivery.
• Managing existing and new data collection systems to ensure that they are effective, efficient and secure.
• Overseeing quality assurance arrangements to ensure data collected and reported is timely, accurate and compliant with any relevant regulatory frameworks, including GDPR.
• Informing the organisation's digital product roadmap, to ensure that the digital products deliver the requirements of the data strategy.
• Working with the senior leadership team and research team to capture the impact of the Company and express this through innovative and engaging means including data visualization.
• Leading the development of, and reporting arrangements for, the measures that the organisation and funders judge its progress.
Qualifications and experience required
• Have proven experience of leading the development and implementation of a data strategy, ideally within an education, skills or economic development related organisation of scale.
• Have experience of working and developing data teams to implement changes in technology.
• Be a strategic thinker with an ability to see the bigger picture.
• Have first-hand experience of data architecture and managing a business-critical data migration.
• Have a track record of challenging the norm and be comfortable influencing senior management as well as other team members and stakeholders.
• Have an excellent understanding of data protection and privacy legislation with experience of ensuring that relevant processes are in place to cater for it.
• Expected to have a degree or post-graduate level qualification in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or any other related quantitative field.
Skills and core competencies
• A strategic leader with the ability to successfully lead a team and establish shared culture and processes.
• A thought leader in understanding data strategy, how data driven business operate, and the opportunities offered by effective digital technologies.
• The ability to respond quickly to changes in public policy or industry developments.
• Strong project management skills, with the ability to generate ideas and deliver products and services in coherent programmes that are compelling to the users they are intended for.
• Collaborative and good relationship and stakeholder management at all levels with partners in government, education and the voluntary sector.
• An excellent written and verbal communicator with good interpersonal skills, confident working and shaping thinking up to board level.
• Analytical, creative and strategic; a good problem solver, demonstrating strong business acumen.
• Pragmatic and adaptable with the ability to deal with ambiguity and effectively manage through conflict.