Are you a hands-on, experienced Head of Engineering looking for a new challenge or a Lead Engineer looking to step up a gear?
Would you like the opportunity to build a team and play a critical role in a new startup in one of the fastest growing, dynamic sectors of the economy? Carpio is building a multi-channel, e-commerce management solution for brands and agencies.
We are a newly funded startup building a comprehensive digital platform to make e-commerce data accessible, insightful, actionable and performance driven for brands and their agencies.
In this new role, we are seeking a hands-on Head of Engineering who will report directly to the CTO and take day-to-day ownership of building and running the engineering team and platform. You will collaborate with the CTO and business teams on the product roadmap, and the CTO on architecture, processes and tools. You will be responsible for translating the roadmap into a development and delivery schedule as well as being hands-on with the code and systems. We expect this role to have a big impact on the product and growth of the business.
As Head of Engineering, you will be:
- Taking ownership for the day-to-day running of the engineering team and operational aspects of the platform
- Collaborating closely with the CTO on product strategy, roadmap and architecture (the what, when and how)
- Deeply involved in building the team from capacity and role planning to recruitment and onboarding
- Implementing and improving processes and development tools
- Responsible for the development and delivery schedule and processes
- Responsible for the operational aspects of the platform
- Hands on with all aspects of the role
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have experience of working as a Head of Engineering, Lead Engineer or similar role, ideally in a B2B enterprise SaaS company
- Be able to recruit, coordinate, motivate and manage a remote team
- Have a deep understanding of the software development lifecycle and best-practices including the role of testing, CI/CD, and the use of multiple environments
- Be familiar with AWS and operating cloud platforms and the cost and complexity implications of architectural choices
- Have a methodical approach to systems design and implementation
- Be able to operate at both a conceptual level and get hands-on with the code and systems
You will have experience of building platforms using a range of the following technologies:
Working hours and location
- Python 3
- PostgreSQL, Athena, Elasticsearch
- AWS and Serverless (API Gateway, Lambda, Aurora, S3 and related services)
- Infrastructure-as-code (we use Pulumi)
- Data dashboards and visualisation tools
- CI/CD processes (we use Bitbucket and Bitbucket Pipelines)
The role is remote on a day-to-day basis with occasional meetups in the South East of the UK, full time and permanent. You must be UK based and able to work in the UK. We work flexibly around a set of core hours subject to organisational and customer needs. As Head of Engineering in a small team, you will be required to be part of the on-call system as well as running it.