SRE / DevOps Engineer (Python Developer)Homeworking/Central LondonINSIDE IR35£600-700/day6 month contract initially
We are looking for a Senior Python Developer with DevOps / Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) experience to join a Central Government department at a crucial and exciting time.
This is a contract post for 6 months with the view to be extended.The role
The Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) ensure that all the services, facing the Internet's erratic nature, are just working and are responsive.
The journey starts from ensuring that the development teams have the right tools to do their day-to-day job, including APM, exception aggregation, log aggregation, autoscaling, performance metrics aggregation, dashboards, software-defined CD/CI pipelines, etc.
You'll evaluate technology and solve cross-service problems and evangelise product teams about Service Level Indicators, Objectives, Error Budgets and negotiate them. You'll be representing the modern impatient Internet user.
As part of a small core team that sets the department's stack direction, you'll work with project teams within digital, data, technology to help build and scale the global platform their product sits on.
As a senior SRE, you'll be responsible for planning and designing large groups of stories. A lead SRE, you'll act as a technical product owner for multiple SRE services. You will contribute to the development of the strategic direction of the department's technology stack.
If you're currently an experienced senior developer, who has just moved into and/or seeking to make into, a move into a SRE role, please do apply.
- Ensure service reliability
- Work at least 50% of time developing / maintaining code
- Negotiate and measure Service Level Objectives for supported projects, and help achieving them
- Make sure deployment strategies for products are repeatable, scalable and highly available
- Provide your deep technical knowledge, providing support to delivery teams and solving complex problems
- Be involved in day-to-day service desk support
- Help grow the teams
- Coaching and mentoring to more junior colleague
Tech Stack includes:
- GOV.UK PaaS (Cloud Foundry)
- Terraform & Cloud Formation
You will have :
- Demonstrable experience and fluency in Python, writing clean and effective code
- Ability to build code defined, reliable and well tested infrastructure on top of cloud computing systems (Terraform, Cloud Formation)
- Experience in designing, analysing, and troubleshooting distributed systems
- Knowledge of Unix fundamentals and TCP/IP networking
- Ability to see user impact in the infrastructure changes
- Experience in defining and measuring Service Level Objectives
- Experience in observability driven development
- Experience in prototyping through reuse of existing Open Source components
GOV.UK PaaS, Kubernetes, Django, oauth2/saml2 integrations in python, gevent, Python asyncio, GCP, AWS, Azure.
Please note, this role is inside of IR35
and you must be eligible to work in the UK.
If this role is of interest, please apply for immediate consideration.