Head of Data Engineering - HYBRID WORKING
One of our most prestigious clients is coming to market to find a dynamic and highly motivated Head of Data Engineering. They are in the throws of a complete overhaul of their systems and at the beginning of massive investment in the company.Role Purpose
As the Head of Data Engineering you will define and improve data engineering best practices and standards and ensure adherence to these. You will provide ongoing technical direction and mentoring to Engineering team as part of building our state-of-the-art Engineering capability.Responsibilities:
Skill Set Required:
- Work with the Data Tower leadership team to ensure standards and activities are aligned to the Data Tower plans and business priorities. Oversee data engineering improvements and advise on new products/ propositions where required
- Champion and work to the company's standards of development, following the appropriate development methodologies for new and existing data warehouse solutions, including Waterfall or Agile.
- Define the development standards and promote a culture of continuous improvement, ensuring adherence to the Data Tower strategy and roadmap, and intervene if delivery is at risk/compromised
- Working closely with Architecture & Delivery team to de risk delivery both from cost & quality perspective
- Drive the development of the Engineering function including setting up objective, career paths, hiring engineers & establish ways of working
- Provide inputs into the roadmaps and delivery plans including providing high level estimates and identifying technology risks
- Actively contribute to the Data Tower work prioritisations activities, including, but not limited to, providing review of low-level designs, associated development requirements and their impact on the systems, best practices,
- Work closely across the IT department in organising and creating an environment that makes data and information accessible to the business
- Drive adherence to internal AA coding standards, including comments and documentation
- Promote a culture of accountability and continuous improvement within the team of Data Engineers and wider development teams, support integration and co-operative working style of cross-functional teams, and ensure delivery is governed effectively to time, cost and quality.
- Able to both lead and mentor direct reports as required
- Significant experience in data engineering and managing associated technical teams
- Extensive experience in technical framework development and a strong track record of enforcing best practice in line with such frameworks
- Able to combine rigour and discipline with a pragmatic approach to deliver the highest quality, cost effective solutions within set timeframes
- Experience and understanding of secure development frameworks, engineering operating models, and cloud engineering especially on Azure
- Experience of standing up a data analytics platform on Microsoft Azure using technologies like IICS, MS Azure HDInsight, Databricks, SQL Server, SQL DWH, Azure Synapse, Event Hubs and other Azure services
- Exposure of data governance, data cataloguing and data lineage using tools such Informatica Enterprise data catalogue, Axon business glossary, Informatica Data Quality
- Familiarity of concepts of design thinking, DevOps and CI/CD
- Proven ability to understand and relay complex data-related issues in a simple and easy to understand manner; demonstrating expertise in big data technology infrastructure and environments coupled with business process architecture.
- Demonstrable experience of managing upward communication to Senior Stakeholders Management with both verbal and written communications
- Demonstrable experience of leading teams of varying sizes and locations, managing performance issues and providing regular feedback within a structured performance management process
- Demonstrable experience of managing IT service risks and leading the implementation of changes to mitigate or address the risk
Due to the volume of applications received for positions, it will not be possible to respond to all applications and only applicants who are considered suitable for interview will be contacted.
Proactive Appointments Limited operates as an employment agency and employment business and is an equal opportunities organisation
We take our obligations to protect your personal data very seriously. Any information provided to us will be processed as detailed in our Privacy Notice, a copy of which can be found on our website http://proactive.it/privacy-notice/