Octopus is a group of innovative, entrepreneurial businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world. We are experts in financial services and energy, and we're also a certified B Corp, meaning we care as much about the impact of our investments as the returns they generate. Today we manage more than £10.6* billion on behalf of retail and institutional investors. Our energy supply business is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK, reaching 2 million customers in just five years, and is the only supplier to be recommended by Which? four years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Moneycoach, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Seccl Technology are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
Job DescriptionAbout the role
- Funds Under Management data includes undrawn commitments, funds under advisory mandates, funds monitored and the Octopus Cash service as of 30th June 2021
We have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious Accounts Payable Assistant to join our growing finance team. The Accounts Payable Assistant sits within the Finance Centre of Expertise and is responsible for staff expenses and company credit card control, and Supplier invoices within our Group function.
Reporting to the Accounts Payable Manager, this role requires an individual who is highly organised, has good attention to detail, capable of both dealing with multiple workstreams and running defined processes efficiently and autonomously.
The team you will be working for are busy and diverse. To excel in this role, it is essential that you are proactive, keen to learn, focused, self-motivated, and able to work under deadlines.
The overall Finance team has around 60 people working across a diverse number of business areas. This role will offer terrific career development opportunities and Octopus is committed to helping people reach their potential through internal moves, mentoring and training.What will you be doing?
But it's not just about responsibilities, it's about how you operate and your behaviours.
- Staff expenses - ensure timely coding, accurate VAT reclaim and prompt payment of staff expenses
- Company credit cards - distributing monthly statements, ensuring claims are received in a timely fashion, and accurately processed to match spend
- Dealing with expense queries - taking ownership of credit card requests and issues, and dealing with stakeholder queries within agreed SLAs
- Supplier invoices - ensure timely processing, accurate VAT reclaim and prompt payment
- New Supplier Accounts - carrying out compliance checks, setting up on our Accounting Systems, and maintaining the database
- Reconciling of supplier statements on a monthly basis
- Dealing with invoice queries - taking ownership of requests and issues, creating stakeholder goodwill by providing appropriate solutions in a timely manner and within agreed SLAs
- Foreign Currency bank accounts - reviewing balances weekly and ensuring currency levels are sufficient
- Month end pack - producing control account reconciliations, and providing detailed analysis of Aged Items
- Assisting with team leave cover
- Supporting projects that are aimed at improving processes and controls, and creating more visibility to management
- Embody the Octopus values being bold, straightforward and helpful.
- Energised and ready to roll up your sleeves.
- Needs to be able to listen, understand and collaborate across all levels of the organisation.
- Should have a bias to action - be able to deal with high volumes of work and multiple workstreams.
- Progressive ideas, and resilience to implement them.
- Proven experience in all aspects of Accounts Payable
- Extensive knowledge of VAT Recovery rules
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work to Team SLAs
- Demonstrable track record of improving processes and controls.
- Excellent communication skills and stakeholder management.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate good interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build relationships within their team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will need to have an understanding and willingness to get into the detail as required.
Our Values and DNAAnd While These Are The Principles That Guide Us As An Organisation, Our DNA Goes Even Further, By Revealing Our Inner Strengths
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.