Software Engineer Team Lead, Sounds RMS
We're looking for a talented software engineering Team lead to join the iPlayer and Sounds department, working on the BBC Sounds Radio and Music Services team in Glasgow. The BBC Sounds RMS team work alongside the BBC's television and radio networks to deliver innovative and exciting online experiences around some of the best audio and video content in the world. We're a multidisciplinary backend team developing services for the web on AWS using Scala and Java, following software engineering best practices and working in a Scrum-based agile fashion shipping incrementally and often.
We work closely with our client teams and editorial in BBC Radio, and as part of the broader iPlayer and Sounds group, share practice and knowledge with our equivalent teams in iPlayer. The BBC Engineering community as a whole is a dynamic and supportive one, and there are frequent opportunities to collaborate with other teams. Our Engineers are all encouraged to do 10% time, which typically takes the form of a 'hackday' every two weeks where they can work on pet projects and personal development. Engineers are also encouraged to participate in "Guilds" - cross-department initiatives where individuals from different teams collaborate on shared problems such as Security, CI/CD or Documentation.
We're looking for Software Engineering Team Lead who cares about creating performant and accessible applications, values communication and collaborative approaches to finding the right solution, and is willing and excited to learn new skills and share their knowledge with others.
Over the next 12 months you will:
Skills & Experience
- Lead a team of 5-6 Software Engineers working on our suite of microservices
- Drive technical direction and decision-making
- Mentor other engineers
- Develop exciting new features for BBC Sounds
- Build out the Radio and Music infrastructure on AWS
- Learn new technologies and techniques
- Advise product managers and project managers on the complexities of planned work, including providing time and resource estimates in the planning of projects
- Knowledge and experience of API development using Scala or Java
- Developing on the cloud, especially AWS
- Experience of writing unit tests and TDD
- Experience of working with Play, Spray, Akka
- Familiarity with version control systems (We use Git)
- Understanding of Continuous Integration and build systems (we use Jenkins)
- Experience of project and issue tracking tools (we use Jira)
- Love of radio and music