About White Swan Data
At White Swan Data we decide what is worth betting on. The technology at the heart of our business produces consistent and significant returns for our clients. We are a small but rapidly growing team of mathematicians, data scientists and software engineers constantly striving to refine our world class betting models while also researching and deploying new ones.
Our work bridges three domains, each challenging in its own right betting and gambling, quantitative research, and software development. The nature of our work and the relative immaturity of modern betting markets means opportunities to exploit are not in short supply. But people with sufficient skill and versatility to attack these projects are hard to find! So, we are always looking for talented, motivated and organised people.About This Role
We have experienced rapid growth in the last couple of years and systems which made sense held together by spreadsheets and R scripts are now in need of review and rebuild using RDBMS and application programming languages. So we are hiring a team of software engineers to work alongside our quants and data analysts to build a modern software backend to power our betting analysis and strategies.
The system is for inhouse use and so is mostly backend, with only as much frontend as necessary to keep the quants happy. You will be working in small teams of around 2-8 including quants and developers and it's essentially a greenfield opportunity where you will have a big say in how it gets done. Although we are trying to firm up our stack around Python, Kotlin, PostgreSQL and Google Cloud we are not fanatics (but Kotlin is pretty nice).
If you are an ambitious, skilled and maybe just a little bit bored software engineer looking to build a modern system to facilitate data gathering, bet placement, data analysis and systems automation inside a smallish (60 people) company where the CEO is also a developer then this is the role for you!Requirements
- At least 5 years of commercial software engineering experience.
- At least 3 years exposure to a modern statically typed application languages such as Scala, Kotlin, Java, C#, F#, Dart, Swift.
- Python and/or R would be a plus.
- Strong SQL/RDBMS (such as PostgreSQL or MySQL) experience.
- Experience deploying and monitoring services on modern cloud platforms, including infrastructure as code and continuous deployment.
- Experience with asynchronous networking and IO.
- Exposure to continuous integration and maintaining high coverage test suites.
- Experience in SOA/RPC frameworks such as gRPC, Thrift, GraphQL and OpenAPI.
- Very strong attention to detail - our systems should not leak.
- Software Engineering or Computer Science degree.
- Comprehend the teams existing systems and processes.
- Create your own specifications by interviewing our subject matter experts..
- Design and build new systems for automating data collection, data analysis and betting API interaction etc.
- Collaborate with the team's quants and software engineers to ensure timely releases and maximize system uptime.
- Salary £60k - £80k
- Annual discretionary performance bonus.
- 25 days holiday per annum, plus UK bank holidays.
- Private health insurance and pension plan.
- Complimentary gym membership upon passing probation.