At Lifebit, we carve our own path. We're open-source pioneers and our driving mission is to revolutionise bioinformatics and biomedical data analysis forever.
Our product, Lifebit CloudOS, is the world's first federated genomics platform for unified, secure research over distributed big data. No one has anything close. Think best-in-class UI/UX, seamless integration with open-source tools, powerful cohort browser, advanced AI. We're leading the industry and leaving competitors in the dust. We intend to keep it that way.
While we know our technology is unmatched, we also know we can keep making it greater without an exceptionally strong team to help take it to incredible new heights. (We've got some really big plans afoot...).
Our engineering and research team is composed of a mix of software, and bioinformatics, engineers split between Lisbon and London. Software engineers don't need any prior knowledge or experience in bioinformatics, we solve problems differently to the industry's standards and favour creative problem solving. The team in Lisbon (currently 3 engineers) usually visits London for 1 week every 2-3 months.
The different teams' stack includes
As a Senior Backend Engineer in our team, you will
- Backend NodeJS, TypeScript, MongoDB
- Infrastructure Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS
- Frontend React-Redux
- Machine Learning Python, Pandas, Sklearn, Tensorflow
- Bioinformatics Nextflow, Conda, Python, R, Bash, Docker, Singularity
- Take a leading role in defining software engineering processes and ways of working, not just coding
- Design and lead backend architecture implementation
- Contribute to features across the entire life cycle, from inception to deployment in production
- Navigate in new code and make sense through what you find
- Pick up new technologies and frameworks that suit the needs of products and users
- Demonstrate an interest in working with best practices and principles while contributing to them, in order to keep high quality standards and keep hell far away
- Work towards production deployment rapidly, be able to scale and to be monitored easily
- Enable feature improvements and delivery to be updated on a daily basis
The role requirements below are just an indication of what we're looking for - sometimes the perfect candidate is far more or less experienced than we anticipated. If you think that might be your case, please reach out and let us know!
You should have a good understanding of best practices of web development and be able to apply them in web development (ES6, JS). Specifically, you have
- NodeJS and TypeScript experience
- API design and implementation experience
- Understanding of interactions and communication between services at scale (sockets, polling, monitoring)
- Familiarity with TDD
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Used communication services with message brokers (RabbitMq, Kafka, ...)
- Experience with services ingesting high volume of transactions and analytics
- A mindset ready to firefight against issues in realtime
- Experience with Docker, AWS, GCP and ops over cloud (nice to have)
- Fluency in English
- Good understanding of genomics and epidemiological data (nice to have)
- Competitive salary and generous stock options
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Monthly team activities
- Conferences, events and training resources (Data science, AI, cloud, any tech stack, painting, origami, you pick!) - we offer £1,000 a year to each person for personal development)
- International and diverse team
Lifebit is on the cutting edge of the biotechnology revolution.
In April 2020, we closed our Series A funding round with tremendous support from new and existing investors. With offices in London and Lisbon, Lifebit is a diverse team spanning Europe and North America, with each person empowered and involved in every aspect of the business.
Please check out some of the open-source projects our team has worked on
Flowcraft https //github.com/assemblerflow/flowcraft
Trifusion https //github.com/ODiogoSilva/TriFusion
Kivy https //github.com/kivy/kivy
pATLAS https //github.com/tiagofilipe12/pATLAS
bionode-watermill https //github.com/bionode/bionode-watermill
YLOViZ Online https //github.com/bfrgoncalves/Online-PhyloViZ
INNUENDO https //github.com/bfrgoncalves/INNUENDO_REST_API https //innuendo.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
"Best open-source tech stack you'll find! We're collaborating every day with the most pioneering organizations on the planet, the smartest people who are leading and redefining bioinformatics. I could not imagine being anywhere else." ~Dr. Claire-Alix Zapata, Head of Scientific Content, Lifebit
"Our leadership team lives and breathes our mission. Nowhere else can you be part of the decision making process on DAY ONE. Extreme ownership!" ~ Filippo Abbondanza, Bioinformatic Solution Architect, Lifebit
Here's your chance to lead, to design, to own. To create.
Get in touch.
Please note - Keeping safe and healthy in the workplace is important at any time, but even more so in times like these. Therefore due to Covid-19 all staff members are now working remotely until further notice. Our hiring process is no exception - to protect you, our hiring team and others around, we will be arranging remote interviews with the successful candidates.