At Lifebit, we carve our own path. We're pioneers in genetic data technology and drug pipeline acceleration that will change the world. Our driving mission to revolutionise bioinformatics and biomedical data analysis forever.Our product, Lifebit CloudOS, is the world's first federated genomics platform for unified, secure research over distributed big data. Think best-in-class UI/UX, seamless integration with open-source tools, powerful cohort browser, advanced AI. We're an industry pioneer and we need talented people like you who can help build upon this vision and take us to incredible new heights. While we know our technology is unmatched, we also know we can't keep making it greater without an exceptionally strong team to help take it to incredible new heights.
The Head of Finance will be the key driver in developing and executing a comprehensive finance and governance strategy. Reporting to the CEO, you will serve as a thought partner to the leadership team with regards to all things finance including reporting, managing our accountants and finance partners, team compensation, board reporting and investor relations, auditing, legal.
This is an opportunity to join as the first dedicated finance hire and help us scale.
We are looking for someone who is a natural leader and will not only bring experience to the role but also will bring energy, enthusiasm, and motivation. We want you to inspire as much as execute!Your day-to-day will focus on
- Day-to-day Finance
- Participate in building scalable finance processes to support future growth;
- Maintaining accurate sales reconciliation and day-to-day processing;
- Maintaining accurate AP systems, including approval process and management of company expenses, contractors and bank accounts reconciliations;
- Process payroll payments;
- Assist in ensuring appropriate tax compliance and timely tax authority returns across multiple jurisdictions;
- General company compliance including statutory reporting, tax, VAT returns including complex calculations, turnover reporting and companies office regulations;
- Support senior operational staff by identifying and delivering cost savings and process improvements.
- Reporting & Planning
- Support the preparation of monthly management accounts, including the various supporting reconciliation schedules, profit and loss, cashflow and balance sheet;
- Lead budgeting and forecasting for R&D, Delivery and S&M, including providing visibility on risks and opportunities and driving cross-functional alignment;
- Partner with leadership to define and implement management reporting - analyzing financial results and key trends and communicating insights;
- Cash Forecasting - modelling Cash Runway and sensitivity to changes in business performance and projections;
- Support the Statutory Audit process to ensure timely and accurate preparation of audit deliverable;
- Drive efficiency in our processes and reporting to scale for growth;
- Analyse KPIs and metrics to provide actionable insight including external benchmarking.
- And More
- Develop a deep understanding of cloud costs and cost structures behind our products;
- Create models to support data-driven decision making - to evaluate investment priorities and potential alternatives;
- Supporting departments and leadership with ad hoc business analysis projects as required including preparation for board reporting;
- Prepare for the Financial Due Diligence on future funding rounds or potential transactions;
- Work cross functionally to identify improvements to systems and processes with a Finance interaction and implement changes to drive efficiency and accuracy.
Location Ideally in/around London from (likely) 2022, but we can be flexible.Benefits
- Strong grasp of accounting (debits/credits), business reporting and financial statements P&L, BS & Cashflow;
- Ability to optimize processes - you are always looking for ways to automate;
- Excellent knowledge and experience of MS Excel / Sheets;
- Outstanding analytical skills and a high attention to detail;
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written as you will communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- High level of emotional intelligence - solid experience managing expectations both internally and externally;
- You will have been a part of a Finance team at a startup or scaleup (Series A-C) during a period of rapid growth;
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a demanding environment;
- Strong organisational, planning, analysis, and problem-solving skills;
- Confident self-starter with strong work ethic, able to work independently with limited supervision - Practice and preach extreme ownership;
- Strong organisational, planning, analysis, and problem-solving skill;
- Hunger for success - You'll be ambitious and proud of your achievements to date;
- A pro-active nature - You're a self-starter, who can think fast on their feet and are ready to pivot when required;
- [Nice-to-have] A recognised accounting qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA) or pursuing one;
- [Nice-to-have] Experience with Xero, SaaSoptics, Zapier;
- [Nice-to-have] Experience with Google Data Studio and Google Apps Script.
What we offer in return
- £50k-75k annual salary - depending on background and location-adjusted - and generous stock options;
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays;
- Monthly team activities;
- Mindfulness sessions;
- Access to Spill, the go to tool to look after your mental health!
- Conferences, events and training resources - we offer £1,000 a year to each person for personal development.
- International and diverse team spread across multiple countries;
- Special treatment on your birthday!
Lifebit is on the cutting edge of the biotechnology revolution. In April 2020, we closed our Series A funding round with tremendous support from new and existing investors. Based in London, UK, Lifebit is a diverse team spanning Europe and Asia, with each person empowered and involved in every aspect of the business.
"Best open source tech stack you'll find! We're collaborating every day with the most pioneering organisations on the planet, the smartest people who are leading and redefining bioinformatics. I could not imagine being anywhere else."
~Dr. Claire-Alix Zapata, Head of Scientific Content, Lifebit
"Our leadership team lives and breathes our mission. Nowhere else can you be part of the decision making process on DAY ONE. Extreme ownership!"
~ Filippo Abbondanza, Bioinformatic Solution Architect, Lifebit
Please note - Keeping safe and healthy in workplace is important at any time, but even more so in times like these. Therefore due to Covid-19 all staff members are now working remotely until further notice. Our hiring process is no exception - to protect you, our hiring team and others around, we will be arranging remote interviews with the successful candidates