Makers is Europe's first and leading 'coding bootcamp' - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, they've helped more than 2,200 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small. And they're pretty good at what they do, according to their clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government!The role
We're working with Makers to hire an experienced and inspiring Marketing & Growth Director to lead their growing marketing team, reporting to the CEO. You will be responsible for leading Makers' marketing function, with a particular focus on instilling best practices for scaling. Together you will design a strategic plan for amplifying the Makers brand so that it is seen as a global market leader for transformational training.
You embody the approach that "marketing is a science". You will be responsible for Makers overall marketing and brand strategy, KPIs and ensuring this team collaborates well with other parts of the business that rely on marketing services and expertise. Makers need someone to take their systems and processes to the next level, and to reimagine their acquisition funnel and customer journey from discovery through to advocacy for both their students (B2C) and their Hiring Partners (B2B).
You will oversee branding, internal and external communications, content, social media and events. You will also importantly have P&L management accountability, including direct responsibility for consistent growing revenue quarter on quarter. This is a meaty role but the scope and responsibilities in place from day 1 will allow you to run with this fantastic opportunity!
This role is based at the Makers' campus located near Spitalfields (although remote for now due to COVID-19). It's a permanent role, is available 4-5 days a week and will report to the CEO.More About What You'll Be DoingLeadership and vision
Planning and execution
- You will develop the marketing vision and strategy in conjunction with the CEO and Senior Management Team (SMT) to deliver annual revenue goals.
- You will build a brand strategy and marketing approach that will grow Makers into a market leading global brand.
Prepare to scale
- You will lead the development and implementation of Makers' marketing strategy, enabling the Marketing team to hit long-term and short-term goals.
- You will build a comprehensive annual roadmap that prioritises between initiatives and builds a strong marketing calendar.
- Your expertise will enable a collaborative team to design the full strategy across the marketing funnel from brand awareness through to consideration, successful closing and advocacy.
- You will gain a deep understanding of their customer segments and strategically direct focus alongside the Head of Sales to ensure effective supply and demand matching.
- You'll evaluate their current Marketing systems to identify the best way to scale the function.
Own marketing KPIs and growth objectives
- Analyse market trends, always keeping a finger on the pulse of the market to identify opportunities for growth.
- As one of your first priorities, you'd be mapping out the first 5 roundtables you'd lead for our communities to help inform and enable this growth and scale.
- You will own the marketing budget with responsibility to demonstrate incrementally and positive ROI on spend.
- You will track and share business KPIs - recognising trends, troubleshooting issues and identifying opportunities to accelerate growth.
Lead, develop and coach our Marketing team
- Overhaul our digital marketing approach and deliver integrated, 360 marketing campaigns.
- Your expertise will enable the Marketing team to deliver campaigns through management of local marketing budget and channel analysis of efficient activities (performance/paid and CRM) to fuel growth across channels.
- You will also lead cross functional projects with product and sales. This includes merging insights, data, and creativity to produce the most effective campaigns.
- Recruit, manage, train and develop a world class Marketing team across multiple disciplines, ensuring they have the correct support and resources to succeed in their roles.
- You will work with the team on long-term goals for their growth, personal wellbeing and help them measure success.
These are some of the things that Makers are looking for
More About You
- Extensive experience leading marketing, including within a high-growth technology environment. You've had direct responsibility for global corporate marketing strategy and execution.
- An expert who is passionate about building and developing the science and fundamentals that make marketing a success.
- Proven track record of building and transforming world class brands.
- Proven track record of hitting and exceeding growth targets in complex, cross functional environments.
- Experience leading the development of exciting and effective awareness and brand marketing campaigns that influence both B2C and B2B buyers.
- You're able to bring cutting edge relevant ideas to invigorate and grow our B2C and B2B communities through events, campaigns, and strategies.
Benefits At Makers
- A hands-on leader - you're an action-oriented leader who can bring other people along on the journey. You enjoy and have a track-record of gaining buy-in and collaborating with others to achieve goals and objectives with enthusiasm.
- A mentor - you love sharing knowledge and whose leadership style is driven by the desire to level up those around them.
- Data driven - you know how to set up and drive deeply-rooted usage of analytics to evaluate marketing performance and drive decisions.
- Customer fanatic - you understand that no one can tell our story better than our customers and has demonstrated this in prior roles.
- Agile - you're able to determine, implement and adjust the mix between B2C and B2B audiences in a marketplace.
- Hungry to learn - you have a growth mindset and you're passionate about developing and embodying a culture of rapid experimentation and continuous learning.
- Organised - you're able to manage and plan at both the strategic and operational levels.
- Strategic - you're a critical thinker, with heaps of strategic acumen and market insight. You enjoy synthesising competitive trends, market data and customer/consumer insights into a plan of action.
- Flexible - you're comfortable with ambiguity and change.
- A great communication - you enjoy writing and communicating clearly with stakeholders.
- Working in a company that's built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives.
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively.
- They have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. They encourage the team to take at least 30 days a year, including a Winter break when we shut down between late December and January. The whole company takes a break, so you'll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- They embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why they offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- Private Medical Insurance (after you've been with them 3 months).
- £500 Learning and Development allowance each year and paid time off dedicated to your training and learning.
- Twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for employees and students.
- 20% discount on classes and treatments at Triyoga studies across London.
- Company pension contributions.
- Enhanced parental pay and leave - up to 20 weeks fully paid maternity leave, up to 8 weeks fully paid paternity and secondary caregiver leave, and up to 20 weeks fully paid adoption leave.
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts.
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other!
Please apply with your CV and answers to the following questions (which you can find embedded into the application form)
- What 3 values are most important to you?
- What does "Marketing as a Science" mean to you, and how do you adopt this approach in your work?
- Describe your mentoring style and why you think Makers would benefit from it.
- Tell us about your experience or understanding of the tech industry, and why this is something that excites you.
If you're invited to begin the interview process here's what to expect
- An initial chat with a member of the Forward Partners Talent team
- A phone screen with one or two senior members of the Makers team
- A take home task followed by an interview with two senior members of the Makers team to explore your task
- An interview with members of the wider Marketing team
- An interview with key members of the SMT
- A final stage interview with our CEO and another member of the Senior Management Team
Makers, together with Forward Partners, are building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included. We know we can do a lot better, and we're committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you'd feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we're sorry; and second, we'd really like to hear from you about it, so we don't do it again.