Who are we?
- We make Burp Suite, the world's most widely used software for web security testing.
- Independent private company with no VCs or other outside investors.
- A UK success story, with over 48,000 customers in 140 countries, and over a decade of strong organic growth, all from our offices in Knutsford, Cheshire.
- Recognized in industry awards Sunday Times Tech Track and Export Track, UK Private Business Awards finalist.
What will you be doing?
- Work in a small, cross-functional team on various web services supporting our business. Areas of functionality include handling orders, licensing, management of software releases, financial reporting, and the CMS hosting our blog and the Daily Swig.
- Practice full-blooded Agile, with pair programming, TDD, obsession with quality, rapid release cycles, and frequent team retrospectives.
- Learn from and share your knowledge with a close-knit group of high-performing individuals.
- Get to grips with the very latest web security threats and how to mitigate them, ensuring that our own security posture is as strong as possible.
Our near-term roadmap
We are currently working on a range of greenfield functionality, including advanced customer happiness and relationship manager features.
We are in the process of modernizing our development tool chain and production infrastructure to fully embrace today's cloud capabilities. Our new infrastructure makes use of various AWS services, including but not limited to Fargate, Lambda, ELB, Aurora, CloudFront.
Let's be honest. Most software development teams are composed of one or two stars, a few competent players, and a bulk of warm bodies who make up the numbers. We're different. We only recruit people who, in any other team, would be right at the top of the ability pyramid.
Many of our developers hold PhDs or First Class degrees from top universities. They were the cleverest kid in their class at school. Outside of work, they are the smartest person in the room.
Role type Permanent position
Location Knutsford, Cheshire, United Kingdom.
We are minutes from the M6, and easily commutable from Manchester, Stockport, Wilmslow, Warrington, Chester, Crewe, Macclesfield, and Northwich.Requirements
What skills are we looking for?
Being clever is only the start. What makes us successful is the way our people work together. We routinely program in pairs, stand around a whiteboard puzzling over a problem, and liaise with our in-house researchers to understand the latest security threats.
You must thrive on being surrounded by other exceptional people. You'll know there is always more than one perspective on any problem, be willing to have your thinking challenged, and help work towards a consensus. There are no defensive prima donnas here. Since you're no longer the smartest person in the room, it's your emotional intelligence that will let you succeed.
Our tooling includes Jetbrains Rider, xUnit, git, NuGet, TeamCity, Docker, and various AWS services. Prior experience of these would be beneficial but is not essential.
We hire people with 20+ years of experience, and straight out of university, and everything in between.Benefits
Be well rewarded
Why join PortSwigger Web Security?
- We like to have fun (why else would we make a product called Burp?).
- We are professional without being corporate.
- We encourage a positive work-life balance. We work hard but keep to a normal working day. We don't do stress.
- We offer a healthy, high-tech working environment. All developers work on the latest Macs, with dual monitors, sitting-standing desks, and (if they are so inclined) walking treadmills.
- We are a close-knit team. We have regular team lunches, evening social events, and amazing parties twice a year.
We firmly believe in paying people what they're worth to us, not just what we can get away with or what they could earn elsewhere. We pay excellent salaries above the normal market level, and this is always determined based on your individual skills and contribution.
In addition to a generous base salary, we offer share options and a comprehensive benefits package.
- Share options
- 8% employer pension contribution.
- Life assurance 4x salary.
- Income protection full pay for first 6 months of incapacity followed by 75% of salary plus pension contribution.
- Private medical insurance (Bupa).
Holidays 25 days plus public holidays.Working hours
Core hours are 9am to 5pm, with flexibility to start any time between 8am and 9.30am.
To apply, or ask any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.