The Mozilla Foundation is a California nonprofit public-benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure the internet remains a global public resource, open and accessible to all! Today, this includes making sure artificial intelligence (AI) and data driven technology are more trustworthy.
Over the next few years, the majority of our internet health programs will be on ensuring more trustworthy AI. For us, this means two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated and corporate accountability is real and implemented. As part of this effort, we are exploring projects that invite the public to participate in creating trustworthy AI by willingly creating and donating data.
Most significantly, this includes the Common Voice project, which aims to shape the future of voice AI! Voice AI leaves most languages, accents and demographics behind. This project seeks to build openly available data sets for training machine-learning driven voice technologies. The core of this project is a platform that supports language communities and individual volunteers to "donate their voice" to an open data set, which anyone can then download for commercial or non-commercial use.
This work has significant crossover with our Data Futures Lab and our Africa Mradi Innovation work.Responsibilities And Experience
The Engineer for Common Voice will be part of a team of three engineers working directly for the project - and as this project is open source, also supported by hundreds of passionate Common Voice volunteers. You will work across the stack, but have a particular responsibility for data engineering.
- Develop code Typescript, NodeJS, MySQL, Python that supports the Common Voice platform and dataset
- Work directly with the Product Lead to shape and inform all aspects of the product roadmap
- Partner with the community manager to understand the wide and diverse community of software engineers, language activists and data scientists globally who use and contribute to Common Voice
- Collaborate with designers to build and deploy prototypes and experiments that test experience concepts. You will help plan for iterations inclusive of accessibility and responsive design standard methodologies.
- Collaborate with other developers and engineers as part of a global, distributed open source development team. This will involve technical decision making, code reviews (receiving and giving), engagement with contributors, planning and other collaborative practices.
- Communicate clearly, thoughtfully and regularly with your team, building a culture of trust and openness
- Participate in agile software development practices such as daily standups, sprint planning meetings, demos, retrospectives and sprint-based development cycles
About Our Culture
- Passion for developing high quality, high impact products, platforms and experiences.
- At least four years of professional experience in full stack web development, ideally in a product team or product-centric company.
- An interest in voice technology and/or AI.
- Fluency in HTML/CSS/JS/TypeScript and experience with Node.js and React.
- Experience with data access and pipeline work, including designing and improving infrastructure for ingesting, storing, and transforming data
- Experience with highly scalable distributed systems hosted on cloud providers (e.g. AWS and GCP)
- Fluency in web application architecture, including data structures.
- The ability to translate wireframes, style guides and design direction into polished, production ready visual experiences.
- A user-centred approach, with a keen interest in collaborating with and serving a community's needs.
- Awareness of the need for accessibility in implementation and a willingness to collaborate with designers to deliver inclusive experiences.
- Very strong communication skills -- you communicate your opinions and listen to others.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams of technical and non-technical people, with a deep respect for the different skills that people bring.
- A willingness to learn and keep growing, both professionally and personally.
- Ideally, have worked on contributor or community participation technologies in the past, or have had substantial personal experience contributing to an open source project and community.
The Common Voice team is spread across multiple countries. We care deeply about our mission, and value hard work. We do not value 'facetime', and we embrace that our colleagues have lives beyond work. You will be able to work flexibly and remotely - we welcome applications from those who are working alongside other commitments, for example responsibilities of care-giving, or creative projects.Salary And Benefits Information
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €65,751 - €80,363 (mid-point: €73,057)
- UK: £38,990 - £47,654 (mid-point: £43,322)
- Canada: $74,438 - $90,979 (mid-point: $82,709)
- US: $69,782 - $85,289 (mid-point: $77,535)
Depending on the successful candidate's location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate's location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £42,500 - £51,943 (mid-point: £47,221)
- Toronto: $80,318 - $98,166 (mid-point: $89,243)
- New York: $77,318 - $94,500 (mid-point: $85,909)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.We Offer The Following Benefits To All Staff
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company's core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at firstname.lastname@example.org.Group: D