Role - Senior Android EngineerReporting to - Tech LeadLocation - Victoria, London (flexible working)Department - EngineeringWho Are We
Weezy is the UK's leading on-demand supermarket. Our mission is to deliver life-essentials, creating ever more happy and spontaneous moments at home. We're doing this by delivering groceries, including fresh fruit and veg, cupboard staples, pharmacy, alcohol, personal care and cleaning products in under 15 minutes. Behind the scenes, we're building a network of fulfilment centres across London, the UK and beyond, each staffed with Weezy customer delivery reps who pick, pack and deliver our Customers' orders.
Launched in July 2020 by Alec and Kristof, we've recently closed a $20m Series A, led by Left Lane Capital (past backers of HelloFresh and Delivery Hero) with DN capital, Heartcore Capital and top angel investors participating. We're building a best-in-class team which already includes ex employees from Deliveroo, Zoopla, Farmdrop, BlaBlaCar, McKinsey, BCG and Tesco. We're experiencing amazing customer growth, retention and NPS and looking to 40x Weezy's footprint over the next 12 months. This is a unique opportunity to build a global consumer brand that will be instantly recognisable.What Will You Be Doing
- You'll help improve and scale Weezy from where it is now to being a best-in-class service for millions of customers who'll be loving using the service every day.
- Oversee and design the architecture of our Android application
- Work together with the PM and Tech Lead to successfully deliver new features
- Build out the Android culture at Weezy (team, release cycles, code quality standards)
What you will be working on in your first 3 months
- Thoughtful problem-solver For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You're comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Ability to scale You have experience scaling production software to support rapid growth, or you're motivated and excited to learn.
- Commercially minded You care about business impact and prioritise accordingly. You're not just going after cool stuff-you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Put customers first You think critically about the implications of what you're building, and how it shapes real people's lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact-good and bad, and you love delivering the perfect experience to our customers
- Open to new technologies To you, technologies and programming languages are about tradeoffs. Strong opinion, loosely held, and open to new ideas
- Empathetic communication You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage thoughtfully with other perspectives and compromise when needed.
- Driven to you are driven and passionate to make a difference!
- Lead and contribute to delivering at least 2 significant new app features
- Shape Android team culture
- Set code quality standards (review PRs regularly)
- Establish release train cadence and hold team accountable (number of successful release trains)
- Improve interviewing process
Keep users crash free (99% and over)RequirementsWhat technical skills will you bring
- Expert in Kotlin
- Understanding of Kotlin Multi Platform architecture
- Ability to lead big feature implementations (break down business requirements in technical tasks, coordinate engineer peers)
- Experience deploying apps to Google Play Store
- Knowledge of REST and GraphQL
- Understanding of databases
- Intensive mentoring from a high-pedigree leadership team that will challenge you, build on your strengths and invest in your personal development
- Competitive compensation package, including stock options
- 25 days' holiday plus all bank holidays
- 3% pension plan employer contribution
- Healthy L&D budget so you can buy books and attend conferences (both virtual and in person once the pandemic ends)
- Socials that keep you in touch with everyone in the company
Please note that unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship, and to be considered for this role, candidates must be able to provide proof of their eligibility to work in the UK.
Weezy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.