Do you love the planet and want to work in a role that is helping drastically reduce global CO2 whilst diverting millions of tons of waste from landfill? Do you want to change how an entire industry fundamentally operates for the better? If the answer is yes to these questions, then this could be the job for you.
Concrete is the second most used material on the planet, behind water and is the cause of about 10% of global CO2 emissions. Shockingly much of this material is wasted, impacting on carbon footprint, increasing waste to landfill and is a huge financial loss to industry.
We have just closed a large seed round of funding from a strategic multi-family office and prominent angel investors, as well as winning several large government grants, and have a great pipeline ahead of us. We have been selected as one of 5 startups to be part of the HS2 Accelerator programme with a view to managing all the concrete on the project, the largest infrastructure project in Europe. We will be rapidly scaling and growing the team in 2021.
We aim to save the construction industry billions of pounds
whilst reducing global CO2 emissions by 1%Role Description
This is a senior role as part of the core team reporting to the Head of Engineering. You will be hands-on delivering our grant programmes in the early days and growing the team as needed. There is exceptional potential for career growth within a rapidly scaling global company.
In the first six months you will
- Perform literature reviews and analyse relevant patents
- Manage our grant portfolio and ensure timely delivery of work packages
- Analyse the performance of our concrete slump measurement system and identify significant sources of error
- Work with the mechanical and electronics teams to design temperature and load sensors for ready mix trucks as well as the equipment to test them
- Supervise our PhD student
- Set the direction for future research and identify grant opportunities
Nice to Have
- Good degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or Materials science
- PhD in materials, sensors, or a relevant area
- 2+ years working as a post doctorate researcher or similar experience
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem solving
- Excellent documentation and data presentation skills
- A history of practical experimentation including designing and building experimental equipment
- Experience with Python or MATLAB for scripting and data analysis
- A desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Experience with the properties of fresh concrete
- Experience with analytics on data stored in databases and streaming data sources
- Experience writing in LabVIEW or similar for data acquisition
- Use of CAD tools for the design of mechanical parts
The distinction between the Scientist and Engineer titles is one of background field, experience, and expertise - successful candidates will be able to specify which title is preferable for their fields.
As an early-stage start-up our compensation is skewed towards equity and we have a generous EMI options pool set up for employees. The cash component will be £50k-£70k depending on experience. We can also help you relocate to London where our amazing office with roof terrace, garden, free coffee, and beer is located. We're open to distributed working as long as you can spend around 20% of your time on site.
If you are interested, please forward your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org