Who is Current Health?
At Current Health, we're building technology and services to identify disease onset and bring treatment straight to the patient. When you join our team, you embark on solving some of the toughest problems our society faces, delivering a platform that directly saves lives.
If you want to solve really hard problems, if you want to work in an intense, fast-paced environment where you get to touch and change real-lives on a daily basis, if you are driven to do things better, then we want to know you.
The last year has shown that the home can be the best place to receive care. As a result, Current Health has seen massive growth including doubling our team size to almost 80 employees and increasing annual revenue by over 3,000%. In that same time, we've grown our customer base by 5x, now working with some of the largest health systems and pharma companies around the world to deliver healthcare at home.
What does an Engineering Manager at Current Health do?
Product Engineering teams at Current strive to deliver end-end customer and patient outcomes vs. narrow features. They take care to evaluate where they can further the long term technical vision, whilst having a bias towards action and customer / product value. As an Engineering manager
- You will be responsible for a product engineering team delivering key objectives that enable the product to scale, directly improving healthcare provision across the world.
- You will pair with a Product Manager to be accountable for the outcomes delivered by the team. You will have a firm grasp on why the team is building functionality, for whom and the value it will deliver. You will also contribute to that product vision and strategy and likely have strong natural motivation to do so.
- You will be aware of the impact of your team's work on other areas of the org, including longer term architectural viability of solutions, as well as opportunities for wider cooperation.
- You will have line management responsibility for the software engineers in your team, including mentoring, regular 1-1s, performance reviews and guidance for members.
- You will build, grow and maintain a happy, empowered product team. The Engineering Manager role is central to this aim by employing a mixture of collaborative discovery, design, careful servant leadership and coaching.
- You will successfully balance your line management with providing technical support and leadership to your cross-functional team, guiding solutions as needed.
- Using significant prior experience, you will heavily influence the team's development practises, effective engineering routine and introspection.
- You will contribute to technical design and code reviews, regularly review team success metrics to enable a high performing Engineering culture and make individual code contributions where appropriate.
- A successful engineering manager will work closely with other Senior Engineers, EMs and Product managers to form a strong community of leaders within the Engineering organisation.
An Engineering Manager with the above experience and skills would bring a lot to our team, but it is not an exhaustive or non-negotiable list.
We would still very much like to hear from people who identify with Current Health's purpose and what we are building but who have applicable experience beyond that listed above.
Our tech stack
We recognise that our technology stack is unique to our context. We acknowledge that there will not be perfect overlap between a candidate's skill set and our technology stack. We value the experience of each member of our team and how that skill set can help shape our technology to deliver better outcomes for all of our patients and customers.
Our technology approach is to use the most appropriate technology for the job. We operate with a principle of building core IP, using existing solutions for everything else. We rely heavily on not reinventing technology and particularly on leveraging our AWS backbone and the managed services it can offer.
Our platform is diverse, and ranges from Embedded C on our firmware through Java and Python based microservices as well as Typescript / Angular, iOS and Android platforms for our applications.
Our data stores range from Postgres RDS instances, through to DynamoDB KV depending on the domain. Services are decoupled and largely event driven using Kinesis, SQS/SNS where appropriate.
Our teams take care with the reproducibility of our cloud-based environments and lean on Infrastructure as Code technologies such as Terraform to maintain our growing stack.
We operate an inner source contribution model for our softwareRequirements
We want to hear from you if
- You have led and managed product-focused, high performance software engineering teams, working together to navigate at times complex and ambiguous problems.
- You understand that technical contribution can take more forms than just writing code in your role; you can enable and improve the technical direction of the whole team via influence to have a far wider multiplicative impact than code alone.
- You act as a multiplier, subscribing to the notion of teams being far more powerful than collections of individual engineers.
- You identify with the philosophy and benefits of "disagree, then commit (to a direction)" as a team works in passionate pursuit of the most appropriate solution to a problem.
- You strive and push for that feeling you get when a team you lead is thriving; its members happy and growing in confidence and delivering high quality work to production at a regular, predictable and sustainable cadence.
- You have previously contributed significantly as a Software Engineer and have taken the active decision to focus your career at this point to passionately motivate teams to succeed and deliver more than they thought possible as an individual.
- From these prior fully hands-on engineering days, you have collected extensive technical experience; knowledge of key patterns, risks, engineering enablement techniques, distributed systems knowledge across managed cloud platforms (AWS), testing approaches and more. You apply this experience daily to drive the team and product forward.
- Spec your own environment
- Salary Exchange Pension scheme (5% employee, 3% employer contribution)
- Private Medical Insurance through Vitality
- 2 x Life Assurance cover
- Critical Illness cover
- Employee Assistance Program
- £10 pcm flex pot to use toward benefits in our Benni benefits portal
- On call allowance (Only payable if and for so long as you provide on call services)
- Flexible, autonomous working environment
- Bike to work scheme
- Give as you earn through payroll
- Monthly snack box