Plum is powered by automation, and acts like an autopilot for your money. You sit at the controls, with smart spending analytics and budgeting tools to help you set your financial destination. Plum gets you there safely, so you don't need to remember things like setting money aside, getting the best deal on household bills.
Plum's making your savings and investments work for you..
Here's what we're trying to tackle
- 11.5m people in the UK have less than £100 in savings
- 90% of UK savings accounts pay less than inflation
- £4bn lost to the loyalty penalty every year
- 2/3 of UK adults say money stress has affected the health or wellbeing of someone they know.
We've Imagined a world where people effortlessly manage their money without having to worry, or even think about it. A world where our users' money has a brain that's configured to automatically reach what is important to them.
And here at Plum, we made it our mission to build that world and we're now ready to make it a reality for Plumsters. We welcome them to our reality! Where their money works for them, and their entire financial journey is easier by an autopilot, controlled by them.Engineering at Plum
Our engineers come from a variety of backgrounds (physics, computer science, music, even history!) and we welcome all levels of experience. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations.
We are in a managed Kubernetes cluster in Google Cloud. A python (3.7) monolithic application is deployed in the cluster using a thin flask API layer. Our python application is monolithic but we use a service-like code structure as well as a service-like infrastructure. Our database is Postgres and we use Redis for cashing and distributed locking. Our queueing infrastructure is RabbitMQ.
You'll get to work on bank data ingestion, payments, investments, data pipelines, user-facing features which assist people in their financial operations. On top, you'll play an integral role in taking Plum's infrastructure to an exciting next level - a suite of fault-tolerant, self-contained backend services. It's a really good chance to get your hands dirty with a product that is already used by 1m people in the UK.How We Work
We work in "squads" - a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of OKRs to monitor and improve. We have 5 of these squads right now - Aggregation & Linking, Growth, Treasury, Lost Money and Wealth. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.Our culture openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
❗️We are now looking for a Principal Backend Engineer to join our team remotely (our team is located between GMT & GMT+3, so you need to be in a country with similar time zone) ❗️Ideally You Will
Who You Are
- Oversee the technical architecture of 2 teams or more
- Provide direction in the technical vision of these teams as they scale
- Provide mentorship to mid and senior engineers
- Be hands on on critical parts of the system to provide direction by example
- Strong experience writing code and operating large-scale systems
- Experience building high-performance distributed systems
- Proven success working in technology leadership roles
- Strong ability to coach developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- You know and care about sound engineering practices like continuous delivery and automated testing and have experience in working on cloud platforms.
- Join one of the hottest fintech start-ups in London!
- We're all in this together! Own part of the company through stock options
- Flexibility to work from our London, Athens or Cyprus office (almost) whenever you want
- 25 days holiday a year excluding bank holidays
- 1 paid day off for volunteering. We admire people who would like to contribute to their society.
- Our annual team trip, to a secret destination ✈️