Plum is powered by automation, and acts like an autopilot for your money. You sit at the controls, with smart spending analytics and budgeting tools to help you set your financial destination. Plum gets you there safely, so you don't need to remember things like setting money aside, getting the best deal on household bills.
Plum's making your savings and investments work for you..Our Mission
We've Imagined a world where people effortlessly manage their money without having to worry, or even think about it. A world where our users' money has a brain that's configured to automatically reach what is important to them.
- And here at Plum, we made it our mission to build that world... and we're now ready to make it a reality for Plumsters. We welcome them to our reality! Where their money works for them, and their entire financial journey is easier by an autopilot, controlled by them.
We're now looking for a talented Senior Backend Engineer
to join us in our London officeEngineering at Plum
Our engineers come from a variety of backgrounds (physics, computer science, music, even history!) and we welcome all levels of experience. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations.
We are in a managed Kubernetes cluster in Google Cloud. A python (3.7) monolithic application is deployed in the cluster using a thin flask API layer. Our python application is monolithic but we use a service-like code structure as well as a service-like infrastructure. Our database is Postgres and we use Redis for cashing and distributed locking. Our queueing infrastructure is RabbitMQ.
You'll get to work on bank data ingestion, payments, investments, data pipelines, user-facing features which assist people in their financial operations. On top, you'll play an integral role in taking Plum's infrastructure to an exciting next level - a suite of fault-tolerant, self-contained backend services. It's a really good chance to get your hands dirty with a product that is already used by 1m people in the UK.How We Work
We work in "squads" - a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of OKRs to monitor and improve. We have 5 of these squads right now - Aggregation & Linking, Growth, Treasury, Lost Money and Wealth. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.Our culture openness and accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.What We Look For
Technical knowledge is critical but we are a startup treading in uncharted territory so attitude is even more important.
- Experience in at least one of the following languages Python, PHP, C#, Java or Kotlin, with more than 3 years experience
- Knowledge and experience (modeling and architecture) of SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- Have worked in an agile cross-functional team (squads)
- Knowledge of containerised and clusterized applications (Docker and Kubernetes) would be a plus
- Solid experience with Software Testing
We're looking for people that like challenges and want to figure out how to do things that haven't been done before. You're a true team player and inherently positive. Where others see problems, you see solutions.Plum's Perks
- Join one of the hottest fintech start-ups in London
- We're all in this together! Own part of the company through stock options
- 25 days holiday a year, excluding bank holidays (33 in total).
- 1 paid leave for volunteering. We admire people who would like to contribute to their society.
- Work from our Athens or Cyprus office (almost) whenever you want
- Team trip to secret destinations once a year ✈️
- Free Plum Ultra subscription
- Breakfast, fresh fruit (plums obviously), snacks with varying health benefits and great coffee.
- Plants, lots of plants
If you think this sounds like a bit of you then don't hesitate to get in touch!
Plum's tame humans