We started in 2012, when we noticed a problem on average, it was taking eight weeks (and a lot of paperwork) for small businesses to apply for a loan. Worse still, more often than not, that process was ending in a 'no'.
We knew that bakeries, building firms, salons and solicitors deserved better. They deserve to be able to grow - hire more hands, invest in stock, market themselves - without all the hold music and absurdly rigid criteria.
We've now been around for a decade
And in that time, we've
- grown to a team of 290 iwocans
- worked with over 50,000 small businesses across the UK and Germany
- redesigned the whole business loan process from start to finish - our record is three minutes, 26 seconds.
It's a good start, but it's just the beginning. Our mission is help one million businesses who need us, so we still have a long way to go.
Here's what we've learned about lending along the way
- Technology is the way to change this space
From automated decisions to API integrations, tech has the potential to create the changes small businesses have been waiting for - so we can't stop innovating.
- Embedded finance is the future
More and more, we're reaching customers by embedding our loans within the apps and systems they use everyday. Our partners are people like neobanks, online marketplaces and accountancy software companies.
- Payments and credit are converging
Lots of small businesses struggle with cash flow; often getting invoices paid from their customers months after paying their own bills. Loans can help them pay these bills, but we also want to tackle the problem at its root by improving payment terms.
- New products are always possible
We're working to create new loans of all shapes and sizes, and we've recently launched iwocaPay to help with these cash flow conundrums. So what's next?About The Role
At iwoca we are dedicated to building the smartest lending platform in the world as we believe that finance should be as simple, seamless and powerful as electricity. We like to use Agile(ish) processes, which means features or projects go live in days or weeks rather than months or years.
We run our Django-powered site on AWS, use asynchronous tools (Twisted, Celery) for time-consuming tasks and scientific libraries (numpy, scipy, pandas) for risk aspects. Application orchestration is done with Docker/Terraform/ECS and our monitoring is set up using DataDog/Sentry.
We are looking for someone who has a solid amount of data engineering experience across different environments, can advise on data architecture design (but is keen to be working on the implementation as well) and work with business users, analysts and data scientists to deliver high-quality reporting products.
- Develop, construct, test and maintain data architectures and pipelines that align with business requirements
- Identify practical ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Build, maintain, and document reporting tools that support data driven decision making by business users
- Liaise with stakeholders in the wider business to help improve data quality, advise on data strategy and help implement ingestion of new data assets from external sources
- Assist data scientists in systemising data analysis to be deployed into a production environment
- Work with analysts to streamline and improve operational and developmental access to data
- Troubleshoot emerging data and operational problems, and be a source of knowledge for end-users on the most appropriate way of using data for their purposes
- Support your teammates by learning and sharing your knowledge
In this role, you'll have the opportunity to learn lots on the job and develop rapidly within a high performing team of engineers.
We want to pay all of our employees fairly, so that's why we regularly benchmark salaries based on market rates and to recognise your increasing value to our business. We are ideally looking to pay between £45,000 - £80,000 for this role, this isn't fixed so let us know in your application what you are looking for. We know there may be some candidates who may not fit within this salary range, if this is the case we would still love to hear from you.Requirements
We look for people that are smart, humble, motivated and who are always looking to improve. Ideally, you'll have
- Experience in implementing reliable and performant data architectures, including ETL pipelines, relational databases, and columnar-storage data warehouses
- Professional experience in data engineering / software development
- Professional experience or a degree in a quantitative field, such as Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or Computer Sciences
- Solid understanding of SQL and relational databases (esp. PostgreSQL)
- Comfortable implementing custom (in-house) data solutions where off-the-shelf products are unavailable or unsuitable
- Advanced LookML knowledge
- Experience using TensorFlow, Scikit Learn, Matplotlib
- Building backend systems, frameworks, and libraries
- DevOps practices (CI/CD), Docker and Kubernetes
- Understanding of data science concepts
Not required but would be great to see
- Typescript / React
- Experience with Docker
What's life like as an iwocan?
We all enjoy
- Bright, modern office spaces in London (Fitzrovia) & Leeds. We have always supported flexible working however during the current pandemic the majority of iwocans are working from home. We have taken every precaution to keep our offices COVID-19 secure for those that need to use them.
- A calendar of 'remote friendly' events each week including Bingo, Comedy Nights, Escape Room challenges....
- Two company retreats a year (in places like the French Alps or Spanish seaside)
- Pool, ping pong, foosball tables and tournaments
- Virtual Yoga classes every Tuesday and Thursday morning
- An ever-growing number of clubs including climbing, chess, football and boxing
- Plenty of drinks and snacks in our office kitchen
Just for you
- Medical insurance from Vitality, including discounted gym membership
- We take your well being incredibly seriously, so you'll have instant access to emotional and mental health support services via our partner Spill
- Share options
- Enhanced maternity and shared parental leave
- A workplace nursery tax benefit scheme. Save £££ on your nursery costs
- 25 days holiday per year and an extra day off on your birthday
- All the equipment you need to set up your home working space up
- Paid volunteering time for you to support your chosen charity
- Bring your dog to work days, we're dog friendly on Tuesday and Thursdays in our London office
- Extra leave if you want to travel or study
- Special celebrations for anniversaries and long service including sabbatical
- Flexible working arrangements
- Cycle-to-work scheme
And to make sure we all keep learning, we offer
- L&D budget including a book budget to encourage you to keep learning
- Company-wide talks with internal and external speakers
- A calendar of meetups we host at our office
- Access to learning platforms like Treehouse if you want to learn to code.